What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Nepenthes as an epiphyte display

I’m interested in setting up a large exhibit of epiphyte plants (6 ft T x 6 ft Lx 4 ft D)  and whites tree frogs (softballsize frogs). I know many nepenthes can and do grow this way so I would like to plant a few. My question is how much substrate must I use? I’ll be using a huge cork bark log (it is about 48” long and 24” in diameter) as the mounting surface. I’m thinking of a football size wad of long fibered sphagnum with roots embedded in the middle and more sphagnum mounded on top and attached with mono-filament fishing line.

Or better yet stuff the whole cork log with long fibered sphagnum and use it as one giant planting container and just carve holes where I want to insert plants?

Have any of you folks tried a planting like the above mentioned method? How success ful was it-is your plant still thriving today? My plant will begin as a simple 4" seedling most likely due to the cheapness of that size plant.

What species of Nepenthes would best with this type of mounting? I know a few do rely on being rooted in real soil.

Thanks for any thoughts!

I dont know a whole lot, but I do know these things:

Ventricosa is HARDY
Mirabilis likes waterlogged conditons, so either its easy, kuz u just drench it, or hard because you've got other plants beside it that dont need as much. Rafflesiana grows fast, and Rajah will die there....

Those are I guess ideas to more stimulate trains of thought than to help... I mean, I'm sure that stuff is correct, but its basic... I'm sure it would help to think along those lines though, right?

Swords,

I can't remember any of the true epiphytes but I'll toss in my 2 cents. If you fill the inside of the log then you can pretty much treat the plants as terrestrials so you can go with anything really. For hardiness I would suggest ventricosa, maxima, alata, or any other Nep with thicker sturdier leaves.

Also, I can't recall completely but I think White's tree frogs prefer it a bt cooler so you might be restricted to highland species (this is just a guess mind you, as I have never kept a White's.)

Hope this helps some

Pyro

I would have to wholeheartedly suggest the ventricosa. It is hardy (as mentioned above) and it grows very fast for me.
smile.gif

Two species i was thinking of trying (due to the "cloud forest" type environment) is N. fusco and N. lowii. If it would better for the plants then perhaps I will just fill the tube with sphagnum and attach some outward jutting branches so each plant can have it's own "acreage".

Speaking of N. ventricosa mine hasn't done much of anything since I got it several months ago (Jan '02?). it has put out leaves but they're only 1/2" to 1" long and then it puts out another. It's weird none of the leaves develop. the cutting was grown in a 32 oz clear plastic deli container (I can see the roots winding around inside the container) so perhaps a repotting is needed to revive it? I'm quite new at terrestrial plants as my exp. is all in aquatic plants.

Thanks folks!

You mention cloud forest conditions. Ok so highland type plants. How are you going to provide light for the plants?
Tony

Swords,

I have never grown fusca but I have heard is is pretty hardy so that is probably alright. As for lowii, you will probably need to grow it out of the vivarium for a while as every place that I have seen selling them they are all around 2-3" and I would be afraid of the frogs trampling them.

Also, you might want to consider adding a little orchid bark to the sphag to help with drainage, JMO.

Pyro

I think that Bicalcarata would be kewl as an impressive giant...

Two questions: How big do Iowiis get, and how expensive are they?

I hear the pitchers only get to be three or four inches tall... I dont care, I think they're beautiful, and really kewl bug catchers... I would do about anything for one...

I think this is a cool idea. But here are some things to think about. The log you want to plant them wont it give off nutrients to the spag. moss and change the ph? One more thing I am no expert on frogs but how are you going to feed yours if you use something kinda small you neps might eat it. Otherwise this sounds cool.

well like I mentioned the "tree" will just be a giant cork bark tube (Twin Cities Reptiles sells cork bark in every shape and size imaginable. These are nice "jungle" zie tree trunks. As far as I know Cork is a stable substance used by most everyone who has epiphytic orchids or animal terrrariums whites frogs eat crickets, etc. and are pretty immobile fat & smilin tree hangin frogs. You can even feed em by hand just like the neps. I'll bet the whites wouldn't even fit into a pitcher if you tried! :cool:

As far as lighting I have any number of options: Metal Halide (my choices on hand are 175w, 250w or a dual 400 watt) , normal flourescent or compact flourescent. what do you all suggest?
I had some power compacts over my lowland nep terrarium and the light was too much even with 90%+ humidity and my plants burned so I'm hesitant to use the MHs on anything other than a an actual "grow" or "greenhouse" room as terrraiums get too overly hot.

I think your right that the halides would cause heat problems although they would also have the intensity to produce strong enough light far down into the grow chamber. Compact or perhaps high output fluorescent might be a good trade off between intensity and heat production.
Tony

Back