What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Live Spagnum Moss

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I was taking a look at the container I have my Drosera intermedia "Cuba" and Sarracenia flava seedlings in, and noticed small sprouts of sphagnum moss starting. I have had this happen from dried long fiber sphagnum moss, but not from a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite.

I am very happy to see this moss growing. I may end up creating a live sphagnum moss only terrarium for future moss needs.

Anyone else have success with growing live sphagnum moss?

Thanks,

Nick

Hey nick, over the last year or so about 40% of my terrarium floor has come to be covered in a carpet of live sphagnum, and I to am interested in using it more than the dead stuff...

but it is a slowwwww grower for me.

I have some sphagnum growing in one of the pots in my highland nep tank, and I have to say that it definitely grows MUCH faster than my 2 burbidgeae seedlings. I did try growing some of it outside with my other neps, but I think it was either too dry for it, or the high temps just killed the stuff.
confused.gif

I'm always looking for more though...
biggrin.gif

Jœl

I have some moss growing in my highland terrarium as well as my D. Aladae terrarium. All of them grew from dried spaghnum moss but they are growing slowly.

Another sphagnum moss question...

I am going to be getting some Nepenthes seeds in the mail very soon. I am going to use a chopped long fiber sphagnum moss as the growing medium.

At the moment, I only have dried LFS and need a way to chop it up quickly. Has anyone used a blender to chop long fiber sphagnum moss? I am going to get a second hand blender for the purpose and use a LFS and distilled mix in the blender to do the chopping. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Nick

I use a small food processor to chop my moss and use plenty of water. I use the pluse function and process it for less than a minute.

Thanks for all the great input.

My wife won't let me use the food processor. Guess I shouldn't have shown her some pictures of a fungal attack on the moss.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Nick

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RamPuppy @ Oct. 02 2002,06:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey nick, over the last year or so about 40% of my terrarium floor has come to be covered in a carpet of live sphagnum, and I to am interested in using it more than the dead stuff...

but it is a slowwwww grower for me.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Mine started outgrowing the pot this spring, I had it shooting out the bottom of the peat even! If you want it to grow fast put it in peat perlite mix and give it lots of light and humidity. It likes NO air movement.
smile.gif
Then it grows at insain rates.

-Darcie (by insain I mean it spores every week or two and each plant grows about 3cm a year, but the spores start new plants that grow that rate two so the dencity goes up and up and up&#33
wink.gif

Back