What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing  an apple tree

I live in California (Where the Sun:angry:hits the Earth) with terrible summers, still i bought an Apple tree and planted it where the shade strikes and temperatures are around 89F at Max, with only gentle direct sun in the first 4 hours of the morning.
But i dont know anything about Apple Trees!!! Does somebody knows how to cultivate them???
confused.gif

As with any plant, there are different cultivars. I have heard there are some cultivars of apple that will do ok in warmer climates. I know the apples around here (Upstate New York) need the cold dormancy of winter to produce well. Did you get the tree locally? Do you know anything about the cultivar?

Im not quite sure what Sp it is, but i came from a more "normal" weather than the one here, it started to turn brown the first week, but now thanks to an excellent compost i added at transplant it seems more happy and is making a lot of new tissue, but im not quite sure how to maintain it, specially how to make it produce good apples....
Ive an Apricot tree just a few meters from the apple tree and seems to be responding well...

Apples dont like that climate. Do you hav your apple variety specificly cultivated for your climate region?

If you like walnuts, the california and hinds walnuts are native to your area, but no apples

Back