What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growcoir coconut fiber

Just curious if anyone uses GrowCoir Coconut Fiber sold here on pft? I would like to here your results with this product, because I was interested in buying some.

i dont know if its the same company but ive used similar stuff. it depends on what your using it for. i find it leaves the top 1/16 inch or so of the soil dry so it doesnt work really well for starting CP seeds. i did manage to get some Nep seeds to germinate in it and they are doing fine in it. ive mixed it in with chopped LFS which helps wick moisture to the top of the pot and used it for various CPs. it works fine for most things as far as i can tell but i can get peat cheaper.

ya me too, great nesting material for birds. Good and strong

No, not from this site, but from a random Japanese company. To me grow coir is the low quality version of (ie. not as good as) peat. Don't know why, but my plants seem to prefer peat.

I think(and feel free to correct me, anyone) that the only use for coir is for Nepenthes, as peat works better for every other Genus. For those who like a few different components in their mix, it's a good selection. I like the coco chips better than the fiber, myself.
 I guess it depends on what you plan to use it for.

Cheers,

Joe

actually D. capensis grows quite well in it. iv got some volenteer seedlings growing in a pot of the stuff and they are doing wonderfully. course it is a weed so what else would yah expect?

I use it in my nepenthes terrarium mixed heavily with peat. For those that don't know, it is simply shredded and washed coconut fiber. And it is not a low quality product. (irregardless of being affiliated witht he company.) Tis good stuff.

Back