What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow light

I have just moved into an apartment where there is not a good source of natural light. I was planning on putting my sundew on my desk with a grow light over it, but I can not find a grow light anywhere around here. I heard that a florescent light will do the same thing as a grow light. Is this true, or should I keep looking? Thanks! -Bryan

I would use a florescent light over grow lights. A. They work B. cheaper. I suppose grow lights work too...but I would go with florescent.

travis

The flourecent can't be on the ceiling though... It has to be very close to the plant... If its on your desk, i'm not sure how conveniant that would be...

You could use a standard incandescent desk lamp, but instead of a incandescent bulb, use a complact fluorescent replacement bulb. This will work for a small growing area.

I have a 15 watt compact flourescent that puts out 800 lumens. This is with the base down ( ie, screw in part pointing down ). However, a desk lamp will either put the bulb in its side or with the base up towards the ceiling.

Nick

The light is about 12 in over the plant. Does it sound like it will work? Thanks

Sounds good to me...that is about how far mine are away from the plants.
wink.gif

travis

It needs to be 8in or less for good growth and color.

The flowers would hit the light then....
tounge.gif

Back