What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow chamber

Later on in the summer I am going to make a grow chamber. I am starting to plan it out right now. I want a regular chamber 3 feet wide, 4 feet high. I am trying to find what to make the plastic covering out of. Can I use thick plexi glass for the walls of the chamber with wood in the corners? So the plexi glass would go into the wood. Or should I use glass? Can someone please tell me how to build this chamber?
Thanx

Phil

Phil, if the sides of the grow chamber are not going to get real hot from any lights, you can use the plexiglass, which has a tendancy to warp when it gets hot. However, glass also looks very nice, and I have built a couple of terrariums out of glass in the past. If you need some good grow chamber designs, check out the International Carnivorous Plant Society web-ring. There are many experiened growers who have built quite elaborate grow chambers. Here are some web pages to get you started.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/webring/webringmain.html

http://epm-britt.ucdavis.edu/CPs.htm

Thanx a ton!
biggrin.gif

i use acrilic for my fish tanks its a hundred X the strength of glass

I am also looking at making a grow chamber. There is a place here selling used shower stalls. Yes, Uck. Ah, but make a nice wood frame and a glass front and I will hopefully have a nice grow chamber.

Thanks ofor editing my reply Nep G. I was asking if it k o use wood in te corners because seeing that it will be a lowland chamber and it wil be hot and humid wuld the wood grow mold. I tink I will use PVC pipe. That would be a great idea copper.
biggrin.gif

I have already constructed aviaries with the plexy and wood. If you use a free standing construction, like a shower stall (or shelf unit), the wood will go out side the plexy and will work fine. I actually use casing strips. They look nice. I used plexy on the avaries. I think that I will use glass for the grow chamber.

Back