What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow chainber idea...

Okedoke, I was picturing like some clear sheet plastic from home depot, over a frame of some type: simple yet functional.
smile.gif
back and sides stapled down, front stapled at top- 1 quarter of the way down. Then a few shelves... voala!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
My question is: Is this a good plan and what lighting would be needed?
confused.gif
Thanks!!!!
smile.gif

Here is what I am using for a growth chamber at the moment. I will be making a 6'x3' chamber out of old glass windows later in the year to replace this.

nepenthes_indoor_greenhouse.jpg

Nick hubbell, your Nepenthes seem so happy from the looks of it. What are u growing in the plastic white container below?

Awesome!!!
smile.gif
Is that made from a chamelion cage?
confused.gif
tounge.gif

That is actually a indoor greenhouse kit from JoAnn Fabrics. I bought two to make it higher. If you have a JoAnns near you, they may still have some. They are $49.99, but are now 70% off making them $12.49 + tax. One can be made with some pvc pipe, some clear vinyl and a sewing machine.

As for what is growing in the tub... Those are my green dragon vfts I ordered form this site. There are 9 growing in there now. With 4 common VFTs. I hope to be moving them to the back porch soon. I didn't want to put them outside right away. Since that picture, the grow lights have been moved inside the lower portion to allow more light overall.

My next plans are to make a chamber out of several old windows I got from my aunt.

Nick

I'm THERE man! My girlfriend goes to JoAnn Fabrics all the time for flower arranging stuff (I hate silk flowers-I like real plants she's the opposite) She never told me about those, I suppose I know why! She's afraid of coming home and the living room is finally just one giant growing chamber. I'm on my way to JA Fabrics tomorrow before she gets home from work... heh heh!

and boy will she be mad!
biggrin.gif

Silk flowers??? YUK! I don't even put silk flowers in my Aquarium!!

Go, get the greenhouse, save the poor girl!

I went to Lowes and bought 4' by 2' by 6' heavy duty shelves and covered the whole thing with plastic and put flourescent lights under the shelves a while back.

I actually am using this method for my lowland plants. I have 1 unit made from 5 of the shelving units and covered in 6 mill plastic and another made from 2 x 4's and covered in plastic with shelves and hanging rods. I use the 4 foot shop lights attached to the top cross beams and to the shelves for lighting (hooked to timers). I also put a 10 gallon aquarium filled with water in the enclosure with aquarium heaters to raise the heat and humidity. I make sure that the aquarium always has water in it to avoid the fire hazard the aquarium heaters represent. It has been working great for me and I'll post some pictures soon.

Cheers

Back