What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grocery store nepenthes

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    nepenthes
G

Any ideas? I got it for $1.50 at the grocery store a month ago and it's finally pitchering so I figured I'd take a few pics and see if anyone knows what it is.

Nep2.jpg

Nep1.jpg

Nep.jpg

looks like a possible, ventricosa, ventrata, or "judith finn" not very bad at all for a buck fifty

same as mine, judith fin x ventricosa
id say

So far everyone on the other CP forums is saying N x ventrata .. any other opinions from over here??

Hmm been puzzling on this one. Could be N. Ventrata.. leaves look a little wide. Maybe N. Judith Finn... But I would think more fuzz on the tendrils and leaves would be evident.

I am thinking it's a little misleading despite the size because it looks like it was grown in lower than ideal light and showing more immature features than would be expected for the apparent size. You can see a couple hairs on the lid still which would indicate to me the pitchers are still somewhat juvenile.

Think it needs to grow up a bit yet..

Tony

are n. alata's leaves wider than ventrata leaves? i have what i think is a ventrata (has one tiny pitcher) but was labeled as an alata. i dismissed the fact that it might have been an alata but the leaves look wider than my other ventratas.
confused.gif

It was deffinately grown in less than ideal conditions until I bought it.. low light would be an understatement. The other plants have some larger pitchers forming so maybe they will be a bit more "grown up"

I`d say ventricosa or ventrata as well.....

I started a ventrata from a cutting and never remembered seeing wings-comments anyone?

If your cutting was from a mature plant, you will get mature pitchers.
My ventrata has several new shoots that formed some time ago. They produced pitchers with wings for a very short time. By the time it gets the size of the plant in the picture, the pitchers would not have wings anymore.

The folliage looks very much like the plant I bought a 2 or 3 months ago at a garden center. Turned out to be ventrata (finally got a mature pitcher to open), which I already had, oh well. But it IS growing very nicely.

Typically, grocerystore generic nepenthes are one of these: Alata, Ventricosa, Ventrata, Ventrata x alata.
since ventricosas don't have wings, i'd say it's one of the others. I hope that helped!
Dave:)

Just a note that N. alata and N. ventrata x alata are not in TC production so it won't be one of these. Other homecenter, gardencenter possibilities though would include the the Deroose plants - N. Miranda, Gentle, Ventrata, N. tobaica x ventricosa x khasiana (noone can say for sure exactly what it is). Then there are the Agristarts plants (off the top of my head) - N. ventricosa, N. Judith Finn. And the Gubler/nurserymans exchange - N. Ventrata, N. unknown maxima hybrid.
I may have missed a few but those are the most common ones.

btw Dave, N. ventricosa does have wings when it is still a small plant with juvenile pitchers. Although the plant in the picture is large enough so that if it was N. ventricosa it would have probably lost it's wings. However the couple pointy projections on the lid seem to indicate that it is still in a somewhat juvenile stage despite it's size. Other aspects such as leaf shape support hybrid origin so I would say it's safe to eliminate N. ventricosa as a possibility.

Tony

Back