What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouses for northern climate

I am thinking (well, dreaming at the moment) about setting up a large greenhouse 30' x 100' to start my own business of selling tropical plants (Cps and other oddities), fish and reptiles. I've been searching online for greenhouses and one type sounds and looks like a good deal from http://www.growitgreenhouses.com (no endorsement intended just for refferance as to what I think is what I could use I'm looking at the System 1 30' x 96' http://www.growitgreenhouses.com/commercial/commpages/30x96_1.html) but I'm wondering if it's enough to withstand a MN winter (rare but occasional -10*F to -30*F in January). They come prefab with oil or gas fired heater, fans, gables, twin layer poly, inflator fan, circulation fans motorized vents and exhaust fans (evaporative cooler extra but I would get one) there is light construction to do including floor and baseboards but no problem. I was also wondering about water and electricity hookups for a semi permanent structure like a commercial greenhouse?

At the moment I'm only dreaming (as I said) but if anyone would like to give me some of their experiences to read and think about it would be greatly appreciated Even if I never get around to actually setting up a greenhouse I'd like to know what I have to do.

Thanks for any thoughts!
smile.gif

im always dreaming too far ahead, when i was 10 i was in a big house made of glass with plants ive never seen,
now that i think about it they looked like nepenthes
wow.gif
i was also grown up and benching 600 on a bench in the same room
BEFORE i knew of excercise,,,,, isnt it funny how dreams come true
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

if you ever bench 600, let me know, I'll call guiness...

Swords,

Phil, Jeff, and myself are all texans, so I doubt we can give you any advice on growing in -10f temps... but I can tell you that Phil and Jeff just got done building a new green house, so maybe they can help you.

This is mainly for my own knowledge and "dreaming" purposes while I'm standing at my inserting machine at the junk mail factory for 12 hours a night.
sad.gif

Back