What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouse

I am trying to get a small greenhouse(those kinds with no heating and the like)and i was wondering if it would be humid enough inside without humidifiers at night for highland nepenthes. the temperature should be okay i think, and the light should be good enough too.

I would think the light at night would be pretty dim! lol I crack me up..

Ok seriously. Not sure what you mean by small greenhouse no heating etc. Is it basically a big plastic thing that you put outside? Yes humidity would be better at night in something enclosed. However there are other problems with an enclosed structure. Particularly if it is exposed to natural light.. heat build up during the day. This can be offset with venting but then you have the issue of losing your humidity.

If your thinking of using it to enclose your plants at night for humidity, it would help. This doesn't address the problem of low humidity during the day though.

Can you be more descriptive in what your thinking/planning?

Tony

It's one of those greenhouse kits which includes a automatic vent opener, and i want to put my plants in there for the entire day. im going to measure the temperature to make sure the greenhouse doesn't overheat.
Would putting the plants on trays of gravel with water help?

To vent a greenhouse properly. Even if it is by convection with an automatic vent opener at the peak. You need cool air entering from somewhere else. Usually down along the bottom somewhere.

The amount of air entering the greenhouse to keep it cool will very quickly eliminate any humidity above the outside relative humidity. Putting your plants on trays will probably not make a noticeable dent in the greenhouse humidity when the vents are open. If the air at your location is normally fairly dry then I think you will need some other method to keep the humidity high while still venting the heat out during the day. Wetting the greenhouse several times a day or an evaporative cooler unit.
Tony

What I did for mine (in the winter) is took one of those humidifiers with a spinning disk that sits in the water, and set it on top of a 5 gallon pail filled with water, the mist is tremendous and keeps humidity on average in the low to high 70% range, lowest humidity is when the unit runs out of water, and/or the heater kicks on for longer than usual and drys the air out quite a bit.

Back