What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouse surprise

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
Yesterday yielded a surprise while watering. I had lost the tag, but now I know! Do you?

4aedcf51.jpg

Graminifolia?

Yep.

All my Utrics were having a hard time, until I started watering from above. Now they're all growing very well.

So they are in drained cups?

I'd like to say I had a gramminifolia flower but all I can say is, my sphagnum ate my gramminifolia! LOL

Graminifolia?

My thoughts exactly!

---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0028-1.jpg

I grow mine in un-drained containers. I usually keep them very wet and partially submerged. Media is a peat sand mix (1:1)

DSC_00230001_1-1.jpg

Wow, that's very nice and blue :-D

Yeah that blue is amazing!

I hope I'm able to resurrect my U. gramminifolia culture and get it to bloom someday. I have a nephrophylla that's been working on a stalk for what seems like weeks now, it will only be the second Utric I've had bloom.

I'm still wondering what Katie means by top watering. My cultures are OK but some seem to have stalled now and aren't doing much. Most of my smaller Utrics are in undrained deathcubes and get reflooded as the water levels drop below the surface but perhaps there's a way to charge them up? Has anyone ever misted their Utrics with mild urea free orchid fertilizers? Is deeper substrate better than shallower?

Edit:
while trying to pinch some remains of my U. gramminifolia from under the sphagnum in the crab tank to restart it, I managed to actually capture a baby vampire crab (apx 1/32" - 1/16" leg span)! Now I have two projects for the evening! LOL

Last edited:
They are in 8 oz plastic dixi cups with a hole punched in the bottom. I keep the tray as full as I can, and when I water, I do it from above, filling the cups. The media is pretty thick and mucky, and it takes a day or so to drain into the tray beneath. :cool:

Doing it this way has reduced the amount of green carpet moss in on top, and the Utrics have exploded.

Back