What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouse question

Hay, Hellz here,
my dad saw how much this hobby has encaptured me, and has asked me if i would want a greenhouse put into out back yard.
As most any plants Fanatic would, I answered "Hellz Yes!"
so any way, i asked him if he would have a heater put in, so i can have space to grow some larger neps, and he answered "unless you pay the bills every month during the winter, we can't". I was devastated. He reiterated "this greenhouse would be used to have an early start, and a late end for growing plants"
now, my question is
Would a greenhouse with the measurements of 6*8*8 be able to with stand a winter On Long Island, and be able to harbor Sarras and the like for dormancy safely? I really want to increase my Sarra collection, and not have to deal with putting them in the fridge every year
thanks for your help in advanced,
Hellz

sry but i dont know much but from what i understand in the "Savage Garnden" and cold house heated to 30 degrees F. can have every kind of sar. i also dont know how cold it get on long island.

Thanks

Brad

I let all my Sarracenia get down to 15 F before I bring them into my Greenhouse.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

If you get triple pane or quadruple pane plolycarbonate with bubble wrap insulation, etc. Then you will still need a heater, but it will be minimal, almost nonexistant as it will retain a TON of heat. Peter D'Amato's greenhouse is triple pane, and he NEVER has to run a heater. EVER. Of course he lives nears San Franciso, so...

You could always get a part time job at the grocery store, I started bagging groceries when I was 15. I used to support my hobby, which was model airplanes at the time. Maybe even if you earn most of the money to pay for the heating, your Dad would chip in the rest. Good luck!

Back