What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouse Help, Advice,Opinions Please!!

Good Evening , I recently wanted to try to get a greenhouse to grow ,:0o:anything from seed CP's preferably,
imagejpg4_zps2fac37ba.jpg
I bout the greenhouse from Craigslist for $65 dollars , thinking it would be a easy fix. http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c214/TengoDemencia/imagejpg1_zps67f93b05.jpgI have no experience on greenhouses I was thinking about maybe putting up the walls and putting up some shade cloth since it always hot here .I have no information on this greenhouse either it comes with these plastic side borders to keep the panels in place .
imagejpg4_zps2fac37ba.jpg
But they crack with the sun. I'm stuck on this project I don't know how to move forward . I highly appreciate the comments and help Thank You. :hail:

I live in Los Angeles CA zone 10b, the greenhouse gets morning light from 7 to 3 , shoul I just put up shade cloth in the roof
imagejpg1_zps67f93b05.jpg
or all cover the frame

A greenhouse is much more complicated than just setting up a frame (unfortunately). In southern California in a closed greenhouse it can easily get to the 100s so you will need to find a way to cool it, even if you put shade cloth over it. You might also want a humidifier because if it gets too hot the humidity will drop a lot. A fan would be helpful for increasing air circulation. I would advise you to set everything up before you put plants in, unless you just want to see which plants can survive the extreme conditions in there.

I just don't want this to be a hit and miss and eventually get rid of the greenhouse. It's been sitting in my backyard for 2 weeks now and i need advice whether to build up the walls or just out up cloth because there's no Need for the greenhouse warmth since the wether is nice . I was trying to avoid electricity . Can I make a nice shade house or cool house ...???

Last edited:
I might purchase this fan down the line
imagejpg1_zps19c3a762.jpg
. The only humidifiers I can find are hose misters .... Can I get away with that??

You can put shade cloth over an enclosure, but without the addition of cooling equipment (fogging and/or air conditioning) you can assume the temps inside the greenhouse will be at least 20F above ambient temps. So, you will have to choose plants that will tolerate daytime temps that frequently exceed 100F, based on your location data.

Back