What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

green thing

This year my flytrap turned green. Well, more green. Normally it's traps are nice and red fadeing to pink at the edges, but this year the coloring never developed even though the lighting is good. However, it didn't eat untill today because the flys have been so few this year, do you think that is what caused the color drop?

the red coloration is from light. if the color has been fading.. it wasn't enough light... so, crank it up!! slowly though so you don't burn the plant. if you live somewhere where the sun isn't to bright (arizona, florida etc etc) they usally enjoy full sun. again, work into more light.
andrew

The more light you give, the redder it will get.

Darcie, just a caution.  It's getting about time to start thinking about preparing your VFT for dormancy.  Many people do this around Thanksgiving in November.  Mine are starting to show signs of dormancy now.  I live in Colorado, though and it's a little cooler here in the mountains.  VFTs need 3 to 4 months of rest to grow their best.  This boils down to give it as much light (gradually) as you can but be ready in about a month to start cutting it back to get it ready for dormancy in November.

Back