What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"green lfs"

Hey everyone -

The other day I was at our local Agway to buy dog food and I noticed they now carry Long Fiber Sphagnum.

The actually had two kinds, the normal stuff and a rack with dry "Green Sphagnum" from Chile that was about double the price. It looked blue-green.

Anyone heard of it or come across it before, or do you think it's the regular LFS dyed as a gimmick to make more $$ so when people buy it put together a basket it's instantly bright green?

Speaking of Agway, I noticed they had some very expensive (4 bucks a packet) and unusual seeds on a display, called "Seeds of Distinction." One of the packs was "Mixed Pitcher Plant Seeds". I used all my willpower and didn't buy the seeds, I have lots of Sarrs already.

WildBill

The dyed Sphagnum is what I find in most garden centres here in the UK (even at the one where I work). I decided to grow a few "easy" plants in cleaned dyed moss, and none have flinched thus far (approximately 5 months): Pinguicula, VFT, [Nepenthes[/i] etc. It's ugly, but it serves the purpose. Then again, one never knows if the same dyes are used universally (though it would seem most probable).

Amori

Back