What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green catepillars falling from the sky

HI,

A nearby place(my old neighborhood, actually) has an infestation of tiny green catepillars. The are 1/4-1/2", I would guess and hairless, aka like inch-worms. They are not the web-building type and they are so numerous, you can hear them munching on the leaves of the tree and they fall out and crawl around on the ground. Does anyone know what they are and if cooled to lethergy, will they make good cp food? I would guess being leaf-munchers, you are taking a risk no matter what.

Regards,

Joe

Hey Joe,
I would think they would be fine for larger VFT's, and pitchers. I don't think they'd work too well with pings or drosera.
If I were you, I'd start with the pitchers, and see if they drown before they can do any damage. My money is on yes, and they should be chalk full of nutirents to boot. Then give one a whirl in a vft.

Cut the heads off first
biggrin.gif

If you cut the Heads off first their guts all spill out as the insides still wiggles slowly!
biggrin.gif

I hate them, they ate all my Sarracenia Seedlings

hey, don,t let them by your plants. I've had them munch on a lot of my plants, and it aint pretty. They don't stay in one place. Instead, they opt to maim multiple parts of your plants-especially under peristomes, new leaves, and on new pitchers. I hate them. THEY ARE EVIL!

Cutting the heads off sounds like a wise precaution against the prey becoming the predator.

They could be the newly hatched caterpillars of silkworm moths (luna, polyphemus, or cecropia are all common in the U.S. and Canada). This would be the time of year the eggs are laid, and the caterpillars congregate while small, then wander away as they get larger.

If they are, don't put them near your CPs. They eventually get huge, and eat a wide variety of foods. I would doubt they would eat any CPs, but they're likely to manage to get away.

Back