What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gotcha!

Hi
My N. villosa caught its first slug today! I am so proud of it
smile.gif

Can't capture it on film as the slug has dropped to the bottom of the pitcher.
smile_m_32.gif

cheers

bill

Sweet. My nep`s most impressive prey was a pantry moth, Aside from the pillbugs i used to feed them.

I just got an idea! Maybe you can shine a flashlight through the other side of the pitcher, and take a picture of the silhouetted slug! I'm not sure how thick villosa's pitchers are, so this may not work. Give it a try. It's bound to be interesting if it works.

Wow, a slug is....solid meat for lack of a better description. No chiton like typical insect meals.
That is going to smell rather bad, isn't it?

smile_t_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

PS. Flip has a point. It must have been really bent on dying to bypass that wicked peristome.

Very cool i would love to see a photo of that
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TunaSurprise @ Feb. 14 2005,8:31)]I just got an idea! Maybe you can shine a flashlight through the other side of the pitcher, and take a picture of the silhouetted slug! I'm not sure how thick villosa's pitchers are, so this may not work. Give it a try. It's bound to be interesting if it works.
The villosa has a fairly dense pitcher where light shone through it does not produce a silhouette. The "soup" containing the slug is quite thick as well.
Funny enough you only get a nasty smell if you accidentally spill the contents! A particular hazard with hanging basket plants!
smile_m_32.gif

cheers

bill

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fly-catchers @ Feb. 12 @ 2005,5:00)]any pics?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (eplants02 @ Feb. 12 @ 2005,5:09)]Can't capture it on film as the slug has dropped to the bottom of the pitcher.

Back