What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got some new plants

I went to Lowes and i bought three cp's from them: A young cobra lilly, a large venus flytrap, and some kind of lance leaf sundew. They are in the same (small) pot, and i was wondering if I should seperate them now, or wait untill they go through dormancy. They are potted in what appears to be LFS from what I've seen on this website (what does LFS stand for anyway?). I am a newbie and I am also wondering if cobra lillies are really as hard to grow as I have read they are.
Thanks,
ati

LFS = long fiber sphagnum moss.  This is the dried, living moss of a sphagnum bog.  It often comes back to life and makes a wonderful green place for CPs to live.  Although it'll sometimes outgrow the smaller ones.

Where are you?  If you're in northern California, the cobra lilies might feel at home.  Here in CT, winter is too close and I'd keep all the plants together rather than risk root disturbance right before dormancy.  But the answer will vary greatly depending on where you are and what your growing situation is.

I agree. Your lance leaf sundew aka Drosera adelae does not need dormancy btw.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am also wondering if cobra lillies are really as hard to grow as I have read they are.

As long as they experience chilly nights year around (under 60F) seems to be biggest factor.

-Homer

Would it hurt my Adelae if I were to give it dormancy the first year? Would it hurt my other plants if I watered them with ice water (for the cobra lilly) untill I seperate them after dormancy?
Thanks,
ati

Try to force dormancy on D. adelae, kiss it goodbye.

And the cold water may harm the Dionea as well.

I don't see any way to succesfully keep these plants together over the winter. Separating them is your best option.

-Homer

Thank's! I seperated them, and they are all recovering nicely. One of the young pitchers on the cobra lilly is dying, but he other has started growing again, and it even has a new pitcher!
smile.gif
Thank's again,
ati

ati,
On these chain-store plants, the "Cobra Lillies" are often regular sarracenia hybrids. I'd check pictures of Darlingtonia vs. Saraccenia to determine it's what you really have.

Capslock

yeah, what Capslock said. I have several sarrs that were labeled as cobra lilies.

Actually, I have seen official Darlingtonia californica sold in Lowes (in Grand Rapids, MI) more recently (as in, before July of this year). They're cheap-cheap for their size (though a bit etiolated), and exhibit mature pitchers. I was VERY suprised they got the labelling corect on that one!

Cobra Lilys grow in N. California and southern Oregon. They are pretty easy to care for, same as Flytraps.
I have a Guess at your sundew, i think it might be D. Adelae

Back