What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got questions..

Hi folks, I need help from anyone.... I have a small cold frame greenhouse that houses my fvt and a couple of sundews and two Sarracenias. I have trouble keeping my humidity up in the afternoon sun. So, Should I buy shade cloth or a humidifyer to compensate the loss of humidity in the afternoon? The greenhouse gets direct afternoon sun for about four to five hours and indirect sun for about two or three hours. Any help would be helpful..... Thanxz

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (showbiz @ July 28 2003,4:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi folks, I need help from anyone.... I have a small cold frame greenhouse that houses my fvt and a couple of sundews and two Sarracenias. I have trouble keeping my humidity up in the afternoon sun. So, Should I buy shade cloth or a humidifyer to compensate the loss of humidity in the afternoon? The greenhouse gets direct afternoon sun for about four to five hours and indirect sun for about two or three hours. Any help would be helpful..... Thanxz[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
you live in S.F. , right? If you do, the cold frame just makes the humidity drop when the heat rises (more water can be held in warmer temps, so if its 80% humidity when it is 50 degrees, at 90 degrees it would be maybe 20%) You don't need a greenhouse/cold frame in S.F., i would just take them out

What are you doing with the watering? Overhead? Tray method? Water in trays helps bring the humidity up alot...what is the temps and humidity in the greenhouse? If tray method doesnt do anything, i would consider a humidifier,
kevin

I have them siting in distilled water all the time. Some of my plants are turning brown to black at the tips ( Sarrs and my Cape sundews suffer the most) I have them in a greenhouse because of the flying rats that come over my patio. I tryed to keep them out on there own but they get mucked with.. Or pooped on..
wink.gif
How much does a humidifyer go for? I've seen the one that they have here but I think I might have to get four of those to cover the hole area of my greenhouse.

Usualy you can get them used for under $3!

Humidifiers are nice but they are a PITA. You have to clean them regularly with bleach and vinegar as they get gook in them and the filters must be replaced every couple of months...and you're constantly having to fill them. They run about $35 and up. I have one in the office that was about $50. Having one here at the office kinda changed my mind about having one at home.

Suzanne

I`m talking about those little "vaporizer" ones.

You can just put an aquarium heater in a jar of water. I have done this and it works fine. I also use a humidifier in my highland tank because it causes cooling. I use a vaporizer in my lowland.

Back