What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I spend $180.00 a month for 200 gallons of water per month (June through September) so you are spending next to nothing. Of course, my collection is big, and they get what they need even if something else needs to wait for a while before being paid. Plants first, regardless how much the wife complains!!!!!

Wow; I should bite my tongue after hearing that.  I think I have a relatively diverse collection (56 species), but most are represented by a single plant so my watering needs are--thankfully--much less.  

I'm curious, just how many plants do you have, Bugweed?

EDIT: I just ran across a proceeding post showing a portion of your collection--quite nice.

I have roughly 300 plants. (Never counted them.) Even my growlist, which is on this Forum, is not complete. Still have not posted every plant. However, if you wish to see what I have, look at my growlist. Most of it is there (somewhat) and I will complete it later. I do not believe I have listed the drosera, or the butterworts. BTW, Chloroplast, there are 2 pictorials on my plants, the first is titled Bugweeds at Bugweed's house, and shows some pings and drosera, definitely dionaea, and my circulating water bog. The other, Bugweeds in September shows more close ups, and a general over view of my growing area.

So at what point do you trim leaves? I have some pitchers where the top is brown and dry, but the rest of the leaf is fine.

Trim them when you no longer like looking at it. Even then, only go below the dead and browning part of the plant, and cut it there. Use the rest of the leaf for photosynthesis. If you would rather remove the entire leaf, then do so.

Very nice plants. I especially love the leucophylla. Those pics make me ache for a backyard of my own...but I guess I'll have to settle for pure indoor growing for now.

Well, after a couple weeks in the miracle-gro peat-perlite, these are still growing strong. The local stink bug population seems to love them also.

I am down to 2 of them, though. My apartment gutters all go underground and I was only able to collect a small amount of rain water in a bucket. So, I called my younger brother and told him if he put some buckets under my parent's gutters, then I'd give him his choice of plants. He did and chose the smaller, more bushy plant. In a couple hours, he filled up an empty water cooler jug for me with 5 gallons of rain water and 2 empty distilled water gallon jugs for himself. We could have collected twice that, but I figured 5 gallons would last me until the next rain.

After extensive testing, I concluded that the pots were heavy enough to put on the railing for my 3rd floor balcony. They now get 8-10 hours of direct sun vs. the previous 2 hours of direct sun and 6 hours of indirect sun. They have really turned a DARK red and the green pitchers have began to turn red also.

It's strange though. My smaller, more bushy plant is sending up new shoots all the time. But my larger one seems content with only about 8-9 BIG pitchers. The larger one also seems like it was split in the recent past as all of the pitchers are on 1 side with only 2 pitchers on the other side.

Back