What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got my baby

*Eeeeh*

I got my N. ventricosa today... She's so beautiful. I'm going to take pictures for you all when my mom's boyfriend returns our camera.

I want to repot it though.
I'm kind of scared to. I'm going to mix some orchid bark in with my long fibred sphagnum (because I'm not sure if I have enough LFS to fill the pot...). One question I have is if I should wait until the plant gets at least a *little* bit more used to it's environment, or if I should put the plant through all of the hell it can take all at once, and then baby it.

I know, it's just a ventricosa, but I'm still excited to show you all. Hopefully I'll get 'em up soon.

Oh. Does anyone know how I can upload them to the net for me to display here?

Thanks guys!
Greg

assuming it needs repotting (nepenthes can have very small root systems compared to the rest of the plant, but you should repot if the compost decays), i'd go ahead and do it. if you wait it'll have to adjust from disturbances twice (once from the new environment and once from repotting).

i use 1/1/1 orchid mix/lfs/perlite.

Thats precisely what I wanted to know. Recoup once really hardcore, or twice, softcore. Thanks.
smile.gif

As for my reason to transplant... I'm not sure how suitable the medium. Good enough I should suppose, as it looks like it's been in there for a while, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I want MY medium. And I think the pot is ugly.

I shouldn't touch it because it's already doing fine, eh?

Generally, I like to let them get used to the new surroundings before repotting, but with something like a ventricosa, they're usually pretty bulletproof, and you can repot it right away.

Capslock

Greetings,

I received my first N. ventricosa June 1. I repotted it right away. It was originally in a dinky 3" pot, and I bumped it up to a 5" pot. All the existing pitchers dried up. At the same time new pitchers were rapidly developing. In 2 months this plant has produced 12 pitchers, with new ones still forming.

I also have another N. ventricosa that I left in a small pot. This plant grows much slower, with smaller pitchers.

If you do repot, chose a slightly larger pot, and a good soil mix. You should eventually be rewarded with increased growth.

Brian

Back