What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got an actual Nx Coccinea today

After buying 3 different plants labeled as "Nepenthes Coccinea" at different garden centers, today I actually got one that really IS a N. Coccinea hybrid with the dark red pitchers and dagger shaped leaves but I have some questions.

I've never seen a nepenthes with soil this dry before the stalk and leaves are plenty soft and pliable. The pitchers are on their way to sad-city but the plant is very large and I'm sure it'll grow after I get it rehydrated.

I watered it well when I got home but my thought is that I should just pop the whole thing out of the hanging pot and soak it for an hour or two in a bucket of distilled water (maybe even leave it overnight) and let it rehydrate real good and repot it in LF spahgnum & orchid bark.  

I plan to make some cuttings but should I rehydrate, repot and let it calm down before I make the cuttings or should I make the cuttings now? I don't have any clue as to how long it has been at the garden shop and let dry out, I 'm never in that part of st. paul but today I was bored and out driving and happened to see a nursery and stopped.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Let recover from all of the stress it has been through. Let it relax and become more accustomed to it's new environment and let it grow more. Sound good to do that overnight. Shouldn't hurt it a bit. Just try to disturb the roots as little as possible.

I took the plant out of the hanging planter and put it in a gallon of warm distilled water  (with a few drops of superthrive)and am letting it soak overnight and I've been misting it every few hours as well to help it soak up whever it can..

When I took the plant out of it's planter the roots had grown through this plastic soil retainer thing that was in the bottom of the pot. I could not easily slide the root tips (about 1/2") out - they just snapped off as I tried to wiggle them loose. Hopefully that won't kill the plant! The soil is very rooty and I think it's now mostly roots so I will just put the ball into a new larger planter (with good drainage and no soil retainer).

How long should it take before it will recover from all this-I suppose it varies? It'll get good lowland temps & humidity (minus the ocacsional rainstorm) all summer hanging by my front door and then be indoor terrarium grown til next summer. I'm also working on constructing a patio sized greenhouse that I will move it (and other CPs) into mid week next week when I get it built.

Back