What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a new nep!

I cant beleev it!! I have a local nursery and it sells some exotic plants and so on but I went there in hopes of finding some Cp's and I did and I noticed some puny vfts, some dryed out D.capensis, then I saw them.... HUGE vining neps!!! Dont know wat they are but seems to me that they are ventricosa. Not too excited about that but the sheer SIZE. Maybe 2 feet tall from the top edge of the pot to the top most part of the plant. Ill post pics later. Well I have a question. Its in my 10 gallon terrarium and it hardly fits. Im afraid that the flourecent lighting will burn it since its only about 3 inches away from the top most leaves. Will it burn? Thanks!

Take it out and put it in a sunny window! A 10-gal isn't nearly big enough, and those nursery neps are always tough as nails. Congrats on the score! I remember getting a GIANT raff from one of those places.

Capslock

yeah i think that will take indoor temps and humidity...

OK. Will do. But Im using a new under-tank heater for my terrarium and it hardly works! Without the heater its about 70 with it its only 76 or and i dont know if this temp range (70 at nite 76 at daytime) is good enuf for a raff,ventricosa,ventrat,coccinea,a ceph,and a bical. Thanks!!

Excellent! I never seem to have that luck at any of my local nurseries. I'm really looking forward to seeing pictures though
smile.gif

And yeah, I wouldn't keep it in your 10 gallon. It's probably too small for such a large plant, so try to find it a place where it'll have room to grow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CaRnIvORoUs_FrEaK @ Feb. 22 2006,10:05)]OK. Will do. But Im using a new under-tank heater for my terrarium and it hardly works! Without the heater its about 70 with it its only 76 or and i dont know if this temp range (70 at nite 76 at daytime) is good enuf for a raff,ventricosa,ventrat,coccinea,a ceph,and a bical. Thanks!!
What kind of heater are you using? The one I got for my N. bical tank is a mat type thing and it wasn't working very well either until I moved it from the bottom of the tank to the side of the tank. Now it gets pretty hot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im afraid that the flourecent lighting will burn it since its only about 3 inches away from the top most leaves. Will it burn?

If they're fluorescent tubes, almost certainly not. If they're compact fluorescents (bulbs), a) perhaps depending on how acclimated the plant is to higher temps and b) almost definitely if the leaf touches the bulb.

OK I moved it the plant to a very shaded but light window. Will this do? I think it is a little weaker light then a 25watt fluorecent bulb so maybe the strength of a 20 watt compact flourecent bulb? Will this do? The temps are room temp (73-78) and the humidity is 40%. Thanks! O ya and Ill try moving the tank heater to the side. Thanks!

Hey all,
I got those pics of the nep. Could someone help me identify it? Not sure if u can from the photos but Id be thankful if u could. Thanks
P.S. Do u think the window gives enuf sun?

New nep

another pic

could you take another pic? what happend to that pitcher it has? was cut in half or what?

Hi
Wat hapened to the leaf is I cut the brown part off so that the rest can still do photosynthesis but it doesnt work as a pitcher. Ive always been doing this and my plants seem okay

This is wildly speculative, but I'm going with a khasiana x ventricosa (or reverse) as an ID on your plant.

Capslock

Back