What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good substitute for distilled water?

Im out of distilled water, and our tap water is unhealthy for my VFT. Is Arrowhead water ok? The website shows the water contents. (Which dont seem too pure.:scratch:

Website: http://www.arrowheadwater.com/KnowH2O/OurSources.aspx

oh, and a thank you to all who have been helping me in my past posts, my flytrap is actually doing pretty well!

Last edited:
Distilled, purified water, reverse osmosis, or rain water is about all you should use. You can use tap water if your tap is extremely pure, but that is rare.

If you can't find distilled, get a water bottle (or bottles) that isn't mineral water and says zero sodium.

It is likely you're getting arrowhead drinking water... which has minerals added for taste. I believe they do provide a "pure" water... but I doubt you're getting that. so I would say no. Of course... "bad" water is better than no water (in emergencies) ...then you need to top rinse the pot once you get some pure water again. and next time don't run out :)

Ive watered them everyday , and today is the only skip..so they're ok till tomorrow. Thanks though, I was awfully sure Arrowhead drinking water was a good substitute.

I buy water from the vending machines in front of supermarkets. Glacier seems to have a monopoly here in Southern California. These use reverse osmosis to purify the water. 25 cents a gallon. I test each batch with a TDS meter which reads between 1 and 5 ppm of TDS.

Try deionised water from a hardware store. The kind you use in your car.

....rain, flowing stream,....

Im out of distilled water

What do you mean you're out? Can't you just go get some where you bought your first batch.. it shouldn't be a long trip right? As long as the growing media is wet or even moist, the palnts will be fine.

Well I've been using water from my britta filter on my ventrata and black dragon for some time now and they seem to be ok. But thay are neps and not VFTs, so they can handle it a little better.

WHAT!? In Wal-mart, it's 75 cents a gallon!
I hope you don't buy it at that price. Being as you're in Antarctica, I'd think you could get all the pure water you needed melting the ice right outside your door. :poke: I pay 33¢/gal at my Wal Mart.

Wow, even at 25 cents a gallon, it would cost a fortune to water cps. I need 2 gallons a day, and buying distilled water would make growing less enjoyable.

eh i pay about 20 cents a gallon...for 4 or 5 gallons and with rain im in good shape. What i would do is get an unused oil funnel place it in th mouth of an empty gallon jug to help collect rain water. Something you could do too though its not really practical is place a plastic bag over some living vegetation and leave it there, tied, for a few days.

Last edited:
Back