What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good species for a beginner? Growing instructions?

I reallyyyy want a Ping. What species is good for a beginner, and how do I grow it? ???

Kayota, please indicate which state/country you are living in. It helps the growers here to advise you accordingly.

I'll dive in anyways. Most likely the plant(s) would go on a window sill, so that would minimize the need for residence.

Having said that, I would recommend a Mexican butterwort. almost any would do well for ya. I would stay away from P. gypsicola, lauenea, and jaumviensis for a beginner plant. Typically easy ones are: moranensis, ehleresiae, sethos, weser, esseriana,...

Cindy - I don't want to or intend to undermine you!

Southern Illinois. The zone thingy or whatever is 7-8.

Im really new to pings but my P. primuliflora is pretty easy....it sits in my east windowsill and get some morning sun and then indirect sun later in the day and then I make sure its watered and its a happy camper so far!

How do you grow a Mexican ping?

Oops, I did not see that! I feel stupid now :blush:

mexican pings are incredibly easy in my experiance...i use Peat/Perlite/Vemiculite in a 1:1:1 ratio, and set them in a tray of water under some bright lighting....they color up rather nicely and i have only lost P. Sethos from drying out when i was out of town...

Back