What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good Friday...

• Thread starter Dyflam
  • Start date
I was wondering what the significance is about Good Friday. I know there are some knowledgeable people here and this would probably be the best place to ask. Thanks

Personally, I think all Fridays are good!!!
tounge.gif

Capslock

Good Friday is the anniversary of the day Jesus Christ was crucified and died. On the third day, (Sunday/Easter), He rose again.

SF
smile.gif

I always thought it was a day in which the whole family goes to tgif. k/d
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SnowyFalcon @ April 09 2004,1:40)]Good Friday is the anniversary of the day Jesus Christ was crucified and died.  
Then, I'm thinking the next logical question would be - what makes it so Good?    
smile.gif

And what anniversary is it?

that he died today 2004 years ago, remember to goto church this sunday

It's good because, Jesus died and rose from the dead to save humanity from eternal torment. "If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life crippled, rather than having two hands, to go to ####, into the fire that shall never be quenched- "where 'Their worm does not die,And the fire is not quenched." Mark 9:43-44. NKJV "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,But fools despise wisdom and instruction." Proverbs 1:7 Concerning the name of Jesus: "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." Acts 3:14

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what makes it so good

It has to be called something.
biggrin.gif

We can't really call it "Friday before Easter" or "bad Friday"
Peter

It is "good" because of the great gift God gave us in the death of His Son to pay for our sins. I can't think of anything more "good" than that.

SF

True, SF. The death of Christ wasn't really "happy" or anything, but it was truly good in what it did. Jesus told us to remember his death, not just to skip to the ressurection that we celebrate on Easter Sunday.

I wish I could add to that, but I can't. Sf and RU, you guys hit it right on the nail.

Who is "Jesus"?
I think you mean yeshua, and his evangelist friend John the babtist

Jesus is the English adaptation of the Hebrew name Jeshua, which I believe refers to "God saves." John the Baptist or "immerser" is the prophesied individual who is the fore-runner to the Messiah. He prepares the way for the hearts of the people to acknowledge their sin. When the people acknowledge their sin, Jesus provides them the way to not not only avoid the consequences of their sin, but, among many things, to have eternal life, through faith.

Just like on the peanuts, only text. All i see is Wa wa wawawa wawa wawa wa.

It is good because God, in his infinate love and wisdom, did the greatest good.  Jesus,  very God of very God, sacrificed himself so that we could live and be before God.  To be with him.  RU and SF are correct.  We must remember the sacrifice not just the gift.

I try to conduct my life around on simple statement, command (although I often fall short of the goal). It sums up everything to me. It cause me to constantly stop and think (and bob myself on the forehead before I slowly turn and apologize). It is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." God Bless, eat well, and enjoy your time together.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stefano1 @ April 09 2004,9:27)]that he died today 2004 years ago, remember to goto church this sunday
That can't be... he was born 2003 years ago on Christmas.

Jesus was not born on Christmas, I believe the actual date was more like July.

I don't think we can actually figure out EXACTLY when Jesus was born, but I too don't think it was Christmas. Would the shepherds have been out in the fields in the dead of winter? Spring or summer would seem more likely. Christmas is the time chosen in which we celebrate Christ's birth though.

SF

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dyflam @ April 11 2004,10:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stefano1 @ April 09 2004,9:27)]that he died today 2004 years ago, remember to goto church this sunday
That can't be... he was born 2003 years ago on Christmas.
yea, he died more like 1970 years ago

Back