What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good bye kermit!

Hi all,

Have a look and discuss who is eating whom. Or are we all waiting for more insects?
smile.gif

The plant is a N. rafflesiana x veitchii

froginpit.jpg

frog.jpg

Volker

Aww, poor little guy. Sow bugs, pill bugs, big bugs, small bugs, bug weed, bed bugs, I don't feel too bad for them when they get caught in a trap (except maybe for bugweed
smile_n_32.gif
) but this little guy...
smile_h_32.gif

I just checked on him again, he looks actually quite comfortable. I wouldn't be surprised if he is just gone after some time. Or maybe he brings his girlfriend.
smile_m_32.gif

Nice photo
smile_m_32.gif

Bye for now julian

Hi Ho, this is kermit the frog, glug, glug, glug...

I'm just curious...how does the plant and entire pitcher look like?
smile_n_32.gif

I have a N.rafflesianaXveitchii and it doesn't look that great...yet, I hope.
smile.gif

Leucophylla: Where are you located? I don't recognize this frog.

I don't think will have any trouble leaving when it wants to.

(Of course if you follow up with a photo of him being digested in the pitcher fluids I'll havta take that back!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ July 12 2005,1:35)]Leucophylla: Where are you located? I don't recognize this frog.

I don't think will have any trouble leaving when it wants to.

(Of course if you follow up with a photo of him being digested in the pitcher fluids I'll havta take that back!)
Well, heck according to his PROFILE, he lives in:

San Pedro, Laguna, Philippines

smile_n_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

Don't worry Cindy these thingies become bigger and bigger. My growing conditions are on the sunny and dry side -even if I don't want them to be on the dry side ...
Here's a larger image, pitcher is 14cm without lid.
raffveit.jpg

Nflytrap/Griffin: I am located a few tricycle rides south of Manila
smile_m_32.gif
The frog has left the pitcher over night. I don't know where he is hanging out now. We have also palm sized tree frogs, but those don't fit my pitchers yet
smile.gif

Volker
PS: Cindy - you might want to check our forum for  carnivorous plants growers in the tropical outdoors in my signature.

Volker,
Didn't you use to have a photo of a variegated N. bellii on your site? Nice pics, btw.

Cheers,

Joe

I'm pretty sure that's a chorus frog (or is it..?). I once raised one... then let it go (sniff sniff... great little frog)

Joe:Yes, that was me. It sadly never started to grow since I received it from MT. And no growth is too slow to compete with the natural decay of the old leafs, so... R.I.P.
confused.gif

Alphawolf: Do you think this frog is full size/adult? It's as big as a thumb nail.

I get frogs in my pitchers too. Mine don't end up eating the frogs. Instead, the pitcher atracks the bugs and the frog "processess" the bugs for the pitcher.

Jonathan

I have also seen frogs in pitchers...

N_frog_web.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Alphawolf: Do you think this frog is full size/adult? It's as big as a thumb nail.
possibly. I posted a picture of the one I had and they told me it was a chorus frog and it wasn't going to get much bigger than that. But I'm guessing it will grow a little bit more since at first mine was exactly like yours and then as it grew (the tiniest bit...barely noticeable), it got darker.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ July 13 2005,10:00)]I'm pretty sure that's a chorus frog (or is it..?). I once raised one... then let it go (sniff sniff... great little frog)
Yes, it looks similar to a chorus frog, but they are native to North America, and not climbers, so that kind of leaves them out.

Cheers,

Joe

what do you mean by climbers? they are tree frogs, and at least mine liked to stick to the walls of my terrarium. I've never seen one in the wild though.
oh... didn't notice it was in the Philippines :p
however, it seems "chorus frogs" do live there, but not the ones i'm talking about
http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/IA/SRP/IDF/World_Map/asia.htm

A little off topic, but what the hey..

"Although chorus frogs belong to the tree frog family, their toe discs are minute, and they rarely climb above the tops of tall grasses. "
That describes the N. American type.
Okay, I stand corrected. I have never heard of those Asian frogs called that...in fact, those look like what are sold as chubby frogs.
I am guessing Dyflam lives in South Florida, if that is his. Nice Cuban there.

Cheers,

Joe

Back