What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good article about Polls

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...0/27/AR2008102702972.html?sid=ST2008102703191

I also found this quote interesting, as I remember we had a discussing about media bias, and some people believe it doesn't exist:

Critics, including many conservatives, say the media have been too easy on Obama, and bias cannot be discounted as a factor. A study by the Project for Excellence in Journalism found that from the end of the conventions through the debates, McCain's coverage was more than three times as negative than Obama's.

It's quite true - no polls matter at all except on the 4th whenever they get the approximations tallied up. I remember they predicted a Kerry win all day of the 4th as voting was going on as well so I don't hold out hopes on even exit polling accuracy. Right now it all depends on who they're calling and if you're anything like me (probly not), when you see it's some poll or other unregistered number you won't even pick up.

I don't agree that all media has been favorable for Obama, I watch plenty of Fox when I'm in the mood for news surfing. Also, shows like Scarborough Country and Lou Dobbs also have anti-Obama coverage. And the Colbert Report's insane version of anti-Obama coverage is hillarious (to me), "Not just a Secret Muslim, but a Secret Time-Traviling Nazi Muslim!" McCain himself swore off using Rev. Wright yet I see him day in and day out on Fox. I wish they'd actually interview the guy since they're so infatuated with him. Fox also just ran a documentary on Saturday who's premise seemed to be that that Obama is trying to kill off the black race one abortion at a time by getting Planned Parenthood in more poor neighborhoods... Almost a good as Colbert!

But I know, I know, you don't wanna hear any of this godless blather from me! :poke::-D

Amor et hilaritas!

The whole thing's sticky at this point. It's best to just leave your boots in the mud at this point and go find a covered bench and sip on your favorite cocktail of choice until the 4th. Oh, yeah, vote, of course by then. I voted yesterday, feels good, despite the fact that I live in Texas ad voted Dem for a good chunk of the ticket.

The terrible irony is a guy like me in a red state. Really makes all that pro-Obama spiel worth it ><

As far as media and the polls go, I try not to listen, but when I watched the business show on Fox(totally by accident, I was in a waiting room and couldn't change the channel, I swear!) It seemed like the host and most of the guests were pro-Obama, and the few who tried to rail against him for this-or-that economic decision had the host defending Obama's views. pretty startling. Aside from that my idea of mainstream TV media and polls is the same as the rest, don't care/why bother. I haven't had functional TV in 4 years and my opinion that it's all crap anyway hasn't changed.

So instead I live in happy Progressive talk radio land for my political media infusion :D

I'd like to look at polls and be excited, but as the rest of prog radio has been saying, don't rest easy yet. Two elections won by the reps by a hair and all kinds of confusion and mayhem in each one does not mean we're in the clear by any stretch of the imagination. As one guy put it: "The election will be won by something between a thin margin and a landslide", in other words, don't anticipate anything if you can help it.

but when I watched the business show on Fox(totally by accident, I was in a waiting room and couldn't change the channel, I swear!) It seemed like the host and most of the guests were pro-Obama, and the few who tried to rail against him for this-or-that economic decision had the host defending Obama's views. pretty startling.

I have noticed that too!

media bias is undeniable..
for years, all the mainstream media outlets..nearly all newspapers, ALL three network news stations (ABC, CBS, NBC) most of the cable news stations (CNN, MSNBC) have been blatently liberal leaning...the ONLY "conservative" news outlet was Fox news..

so we had one out of a thousand with a conservative lean, and 999 with a liberal lean.

I always found it hilaroius when liberals would complain about Fox news and its "conservative bias" when EVERY other news outlet had such a HUGE liberal bias!
but obviously..they had no problem with that!

but!
during the last few months I have noticed the network news stations (6:30 national news, CBS, ABC, NBC) have been almost "fair and balanced"!
there have actually been quite a few "negative" stories about Obama!
the change has been quite noticable and obvious..
I think they are all making a concious effort to be more balanced..probably because of all the flak they have taken for years..
I wouldnt say its quite "balanced" yet..its maybe 60/40 now, (60% negative about conservatives, 40% negative about liberals) but thats much better than the 90/10 of recent years..

even John Stewart has been a lot more balanced this year!
and Fox news has been trying to adjust their bias as well..

its all good!
I hope the trend continues..

One area where its NOT happening is our local Rochester, NY newspaper..
(only one newspaper left in the city)
its liberal lean is so blatant its almost funny..
All the Sara Palin stories go on the front page, big headlines..
You might find a "negative" Obama or Biden story buried on page 5..
if its there at all..

even though I think the media bias is slowly improving,
we still have a long way to go..

One clear example that media bias is still alive and well:

how many stories have you read about Palin and her clothing?
how many times have you seen the story mentioned in the media?
quite a lot..

How many stories have you read about Biden and his "The world will test Obama" comment??
maybe one..if you have even heard of it at all..

This forum is a perfect microcosm of the real world..
Palin stories and debate are all over this place.
the Biden story hasnt even appeared here once.

Scot

LOL! Who's Biden? He could be our next President, as soon as someone who doesn't like Obama's phenotype and decides to take matters into is own hands.

I noticed that a long time ago. The media always does that with every election. They try to pick our president for us. They like to think they represent the people (or else can push their ideals onto us?) , but they don't.

>LOL! Who's Biden? He could be our next President, as soon as someone who doesn't like Obama's phenotype and decides to take matters into is own hands.>

They're already trying!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081027/ap_on_el_pr/skinhead_plot

I admit, I don't want him to be president either, but not for the same reasons as those guys and I wouldn't wish that on anyone (especially someone who has a family), not even Obama.

Edit: I forgot to mention that our local NBC affiliate did a survey last week. I think it was either on Turs or Fri. They asked if people thought that the media had been biased against Sarah Palin. I think the number was 83% that answered yes.

Yawn. The press has gone way too easy on McCain for his impulsiveness and fiery temper. Those combine to make for a terrifying presidential candidate. Obama is probably too cautious, but that's exactly what we need after eight years of the worst president ever.

BTW I don't know what would be scarier, Biden as President or Obama...

Bush as president... again! :p

One of the reasons I can't see myself voting for Bush Lite & his corny gal pal.

The media likes Obama because of his rock star status. He is something new and something fresh. People like him because his personality is magnetic and he makes bold claims. It is no surprise one of the stalwarts of his campaign has been to tie McCain to Bush... if he is something new, then McCain is "old news.” There is a reason why the backdrop of the DNC was a large Greek temple… because Obama likes the dramatic, and the media absolutely eats this up. I did, however, find it ironic when his opening line stated “With profound gratitude and great humility, I accept your nomination for the Presidency of the United States.” - said while standing in front of a Greek Temple. . . .

I cannot be told that the media does not sway the outcome of the election. It is absolutely ridiculous the bias I witness when I go to media websites or turn on the television. There are plenty of ignorant Americans out there that will have their vote swayed because CNN airs all of the moments of triumph for one candidate and all of the moments of folly for another.

perhaps that is because democracy and much of western civilization can trace its origins back to Greece... look at the architecture of many of our most symbolic and important buildings. Its building an association...

Yes Finch, that is one of the explanations that have been used, but I think there is a far simpler meaning to it.

As John Stewart said:

"We're talking about something where, if you do a really good job at it, they carve your face into a mountain"

In regards to the U.S. Presidency.

I for one, do not want someone who identifies himself as 'common' carved into a mountain, I prefer the rockstar who will actually lead, not pretend to fit in. I find the Joe-"the plumber"-six-pack political rhetoric truly upsetting :(

Back