What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going insane

T

TropicalParadiseTank

I have been hunting for one special type of bromeliad that I just cant seem to find! And what doesnt help much is I have no clue what the exact name for its type is. Ive gone to the bromeliad society website and they have so many pictures I thought my eyes would fall out! Maybe someone can tell me what this thing is: dark green leaves, the usual bromeliad shape and look. But the flower area is shaped like a cup almost, center is empty. Most are the multi spiked flower type and this one is just one cup shaped flower. I really need this plant because Im ordering some special frogs that happen to only like to breed in that one darn type. None of my local nurseries have it, I cant find an online one that has it, and I cant identify it. Im going insane.
Please email me if you can help: paradiseofrains@aol.com

Thanks

I have several hundred different Bromeliads so I know a little about them.
Actually there are quite a few different Broms that do not have multi-spike flowers. What you are describing with the "empty cup in the middle" sounds like a Neoregelia. All Neos are fairly flat looking rosette style plants that hold water in the centre of the plant. Having said that, there are millions of species and hybrids of Neoregelia's and I can't begin to guess exactly what species you are talking about!! So many of them are very similar to each other.

Neos are, in my opinion, some of the easiest to grow, they just like warmth, and I always keep water in the centre cup. Many of them are epiphytes and grow well on Bromeliad trees so when you pot them use charcoal and bark, NOT dirt or earth as they'll rot at the base and probably die.

Here's another page of Neo's to finish the job on your eyes.

http://bsi.org/brom_info/gallery/Neoregelia/

Cheers, Troy.

is the special frogs dart frogs? if so waht species?

Thank you so very much for the help.

And no its not dart frogs......yet anyway lol.

Right now I am getting into the red eye tree frogs. I just started with frogs, so Im goin slow and easy. Once I get some experiance under my belt I will move on to darts.

Thanks again!!!

if i remember correctly, red eyed tree frogs dont breed in bromeliads. they attach their clump of eggs on a tree leaf hanging above a source of water (pond, stream, hollow log) and when the tadpoles hatch, the jelly coating the eggs liqufies and the tadpoles drop into the source of water. im no frog expert, but i believe thats how its done with red eyes. you laso dont need bromeliads to get poison dart frogs to breed either. well, good luck with your frogs!!! oh, they are arborial (live in trees) so make sure you give them a tall cage, not long. and lots of stuff to climb on.

-josh

Red eyes do like to lay egg clusters on the leaves over hanging a pond, seems most tree frogs do. But from what my two herp experts have told me, if you include some of this bromeliad in the terrarium they are much more likely to breed. They told me to watch and I might get a glimpse of their "courting" in the bromeliad. One guy told me he can get them to breed without the bromeliad in there, but they seem over all more happy with it. And as for the dart frogs, I havent even begun a tank for them yet. They require differant conditions than the red eyes, so Im just going to wait a bit on them.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it

P.S. ( lol of course they are arborial, the name tree frog kind of gave that one away.)
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back