What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goin' to atlanta

Hi Y'all (Yankee just tryin' to fit in...)

Going to be in Atlanta Feb 6-10 and wondered if anyone was interested in talking cp's. I'll be attending a Biosafety Conference but should have some free time while there. I'm definitely hoping to see the Atlanta Botanical Garden while there. Anybody have connections as I'd be ecstatic to see their tissue culture lab too.
Not to forget...Any native Cp's to see in the area?

Looking forward to being warm and seeing the CP sights.

My email is: kwmartin@earthlink.net

Kirk Martin
Fitchburg, MA

P.S. Just got back from Tampa and saw the USF cp bog at their botanical garden. Some nice plants in there but definitely in need of some weeding.

Email ABG and ask if the Cp people will be working. They alternate days with the Orchid people. No cahnace of getting int he lab but you can see the closed room (You will definatly see it) if you get connections. A bunch of Endangered palnts were growing up when I when there. Pikes Nursery sells a lot of cps. Pikes is all over the place. But you must go to ABG no matter what. I have been twice for a total of 8 hours and have not seen all the cps yet (well studied them individually as I do my own plants).

Just so you don't get the wrong impression, the cp bog at USF always looks that way, I don't think anyone ever does much with it.

Tre,
I may only have 4-6 hours on Feb 6th for a reasonably long block of time. Are there any "absolutely must sees" at ABG?
Anything else of interest to cpphile?

Thanks,
Kirk

BTW: Looks like NECPS will be returning to Black Jungle again in June if you care to make the drive
smile.gif

Contact Pyro. He has some ins at the ABG. He also lives in the area and might be persuaded to join you if he's not up to his neck in work.

Take a walk by the Sarr garden. If you are into Neps definatly go in the two "orchid houses" which are really nep houses. Another Nep haouse is in the conservatory with 5 huge plants (30 inch pots or somthing like that).

As Scholaty said, I am in Atl. If the 6th is a weekend (I don't have a calandar handy) I might be able to swing a trip over.

Trent is correct that you can not enter into the actual TC room, only those working on the plants are allowed in there. But there is a viewing area that lets you see in so...

I highly recommend the high elevation house with its Neps and Helies. The hot house has a couple nice specimines but there are just bicals and amps and truncatas. The conservatory Trent mentions is just off the desert house and also contains the giant glass Nep sculpture. The plants in there are pretty good looking, a few have mammoth pitchers.

As far as I know there are not local stands of CPs (none that I have found in the last 4 years at any rate.) There are some Sarr sites a few hours into the country but those are all basically closed off (read: on the land of guys with guns who shoot first and ask questions later.)

Also, get ahold of Ron Gagliardo if you can, I got to go into the conservation greenhouse where they had some pretty wicked specimens there. I only missed Pyro by 8 mintues!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Pyro,

Feb 6th is a Sunday so hoping the ABG is even open that day. Should be getting in at 11:30 AM.
I'll be leaving Thursday night 7:30PM
I'll be staying at the Marriott-Downtown 35 14th street so do you recommend I rent a car there or would there be good public transit to ABG?

I'd love to see the S. purpurea ssp. purpurea var. montana (Just love saying that...)
If you've got some spare time or even if you'd like to show off your grow set-up, I'd like to meet up with other cp'ers.

Thanks for all the tips everyone,
Kirk

ABG is open on Sundays (closed on Mondays)

MARTA is our public transit and I think it swings by ABG. But if your hotel is the one I think it is you are probably within spitting distance of ABG (head East on 14th till you hit Piedmont, turn left and go about 1 mile.)

Let me see what my schedule looks like for that time and I'll drop you an email letting you know if I can swing it.

Just got back from Atlanta and to anyone even remotely considering going to the Atlanta Botanical Garden... GO!!

Brooks Garcia kindly acted as my guide/host and showed me fascinating plants in the collection (Hope to have some pictures posted soon-still a bit new at that).

There was a fantastic orchid exhibition going on while there (designed by Brooks himself). Amazing shapes, colors and forms.

I was amazed by a 6-8' bed of N. truncata (all of which were flowering). They had a highland area with beautiful N. lowii and rajah in spectactular pitchering.
They even recreated the Venezuelan tepuis showing Brochinnia reducta, and several species of Heliamphora (all in flower).

Their conservation greenhouse was unfortunately closed during my visit but saw several endangered Sarrs. Brooks pointed out a S. purp hybrid that was dark burgundy with pitchers 4-5" in diameter!!!

So to all that gave me pointers to sightseeing in Atlanta
Thanks..... Hope to post some pictures soon.

Carnivorously yours,
Kirk martin
Fitchburg, MA

Back