What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gluttony: a deadly sin

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
We had our spring swarming of love bugs this past month. They apparently REALLY like light color sarrs.....and the sarrs liked them a bit too much, as well. I meant to get some pics of the tiny critters filled to overflowing in the flavas and alatas and the leucos - they were struggling to get out but just couldn't do it. I even had a brave American anole venture in a flava to retrieve an "easy" dinner only to find he was on the menu himself. The whole bed stinks now and many of the pitchers are showing signs of the over indulgence. They were looking SOOOO nice before, guess they will again soon with all the nutrient soup in them....

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

and the bugs have gotten all packed down now
IMG_0430.jpg

Same thing is happening here, except with ants! I had to start using stakes for the taller pitchers becuase of the wind and heavy, bug-filled pitchers.

Great pictures, BTW! :)

Once they get a few snacks, stuff a cotton ball in them so the bugs don't fill them up.

xvart.

That is a nice idea JC I never thought of that. Thanks!

That is a nice idea JC I never thought of that. Thanks!

I wish I could take credit for that idea; heck, I wish I could say I've done it! However, I read the idea here on TF some time ago.

xvart.

I'm not having that problem with my Sarrs this year. In fact I am seeing very, very few insects this year.

I see no bees, hornets, wasps, yellow-jackets or even houseflys outdoors. It might be due to the cooler spring we're having in the north-east. (Al Gore's global-warming)

So my Sarrs are "starving" outdoors right now. I'm thinking later in the summer all the bugs here will be out in force. Weird, I know..............

Once they get a few snacks, stuff a cotton ball in them so the bugs don't fill them up.

xvart.

I like it......but seems almost as unnatural as keeping plants in pots...BUT I am going to try it next year during the love bug season.

Back