What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glitch

• Thread starter Mondo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
I've noticed that when it rains the rain drops trigger my plants traps close then they continue to fall through the closed traps and stimulate the trigger hairs,thus causing the traps to seal shut and start the digestion process...days later these traps open,having closed up for no reason. LOL i have to laugh when this happens-it seems the vft is not as perfect as it seems,as this glitch is really very funny...don't u think?

I thought they were designed so that they will only be triggered if the raindrop falls exactly vertically, otherwise they don't close because of the angles or something. Strange.

I was under the impression that the traps completely re-open in a few hours because they're not further stimulated. At least my outdoor VFTs do so.
BTW I don't think it's very funny; these poor flytraps are expending a lot of energy closing their (poor!) traps, and, you may say, it happens to wild flytraps all the time(which I'm sure it does), but they are extrememly tough and energetic(...and they came here on meteorites so fire shouldn't be a problem, blah blah blah). :cheesy:
Aww, if only your flytraps knew you said that about them, Mondo! :biggrin:
Chris

My flytrap isn't made out of tissue paper and i am sure it would laugh as well if it could...

Just put a match to them - I'm sure the fire will perk them up
smile.gif
smile.gif

Mondo, a flytrap laughing about being smacked with rain drops would be like you laughing about being hit with gigantic rain drops that slowly weaken you and eventually kill you. Maybe that would be sort of funny if I didn't know about the weakening and dying part...but I'm DE for a reason! Maybe I'll have to be DP, for 'Dionaea Protective'. :cheesy:
Chris

If u don't harden ur plant of with the elements u will end up with a weaker plant in the long run,my plant is getting used to the rain and wind and sending out sturdier leaves,unlike plants grown shelted from the elements which put all there energy into leaf growth,and although they grow faster it is only because they don't need to bother putting energy into leaves that can cope with the wind etc...

Back