What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Glazed" ceramic

growergray

Just a guy
Ok, I couldn't find the answer after a brief search so I'll just ask:

When the term "glazed ceramic" is used to describe a pot, does that mean the pot needs to be glazed all over, inside and out? Or just on the outside. I've seen hundreds of pots glazed on the outside, but I'm have trouble finding what I need thats glazed inside and out.

This might be a stupid question with an obvious answer, but there it is.
Thanks

I believ they need to be inside and out since the ceramic could leach minerals like terracotta can... I dunno but if you have a can of laquer or sealing stuff maybe that would seal it up making it sorta "glazed"

Any pot made out of a porous material (clay, ceramic, etc.) needs to be sealed on the inside to prevent minerals from leaching into the planting media.

I use terra cotta pots all the time with no problems. They increase humidity, hold water, increase air circulation around the roots, can cool the root zone through evaporation. I wouldn't worry too much about minerals, especially if you water with pure water.

grower, to answer you question. There isn't really a set term for the glaze being on the inside as well. You'd have to see the pot in person or from the picture to tell as well.

It's sometimes viewed as incorrect to have the glaze on the inside for most house plant growers. Water will flow down the glaze and dry out that section of dirt faster than everything else. In fact I have one where it's killed every plant I've put in it so far. You want it? It's a large blue bonsai pot.

Side note over time unglazed does build up, but you can see it happening and make changes as you see you need to.

Actually, I was looking at a big garden shop. I later ran by wal-mart and they have tons of pots that are glazed inside-outside. But still, It's interesting to hear about y'alls personal experiences.

Back