What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glass, plexiglass, or open?

For the top of a grow chamber I'm weighing my options. If I go open and somehow screw the lights on then would would the humidity get to the lights and cause probelms? Does glass or plexiglass block out any of the rays from the lights making them less effective?

For the top of a grow chamber I'm weighing my options. If I go open and somehow screw the lights on then would would the humidity get to the lights and cause probelms? Does glass or plexiglass block out any of the rays from the lights making them less effective?

Glass or plexiglass isn't really an issue insofar as light blockage is concerned, but it should be kept clean to maximize illumination. I've seen terraria where the tops were thoroughly caked with dust, so too the light fixtures -- and that cannot be beneficial.

I would definitely recommend a fan. Even more important than whether or not to use a top is adequate ventilation, since some growing chambers seem far more effective in the steaming of broccoli than in the cultivation of carnivorous plants . . .

What are you planning on growing in the terrarium?

I plan on drilling vent holes in the sides in addition to a fan or two. I'm hooking up a freezer so I can hopefully ultra highlands. I figure maybe four 40 watt bulbs plus the two lights I use now and it should be pretty good for lighting.

Back