What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

glass lense required for lamp?

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Metal Halide Conversion-

this bulb says to use a glass lense. i assume this is to block out alot of UV light. would the plexiglass cover for my terrarium be good enough?

It may turn the plexi yellow...

And may cause it to crack too. Plus I don't think it would withstand the heat either.

it's doing fine with my unfiltered HPS light, no discoloration or melting.

no idizzle.

ok well good luck with it. The melting may not happen then, but watch out for the discoloration. If it happens, it will happen over time. Its not an imediate thing.

Just quickly peeking at the article, are you sure you want to be using that bulb? Considering the price, the spectrum it gives off is pretty far from impressive. I mean, I'm sure you can make due with it, but it's got a lot of green (mostly useless) and has very little red.

i want it because i have a HPS system and i want MH light, so i need a MH conversion bulb and they tent to be more expensive that HPS or MH. i don't mind paying the money and thats the best one i could find lol. if you know of any conversion bulbs that are better i'd be your best friend
smile_m_32.gif

I think those glass filters are more for your safety than anything else... high output lamps put out harmful amounts of UV light. I remember back when I was in grade school the casing on a MH lamp array broke at the gym where my soccer team practiced; several weeks of practice were canceled beacuse apparently several dozen students and faculty from that school got sick as a result UV exposure during some assembly. You'd best do a little reading on the type of bulb in question, to find out just what the glass filter is for.
Best luck,
~Joe

if i'm never in the room except to sleep, and the light is off then, how could it hurt?

Well, it'll help keep your room sterile! lol

It could cack plastics over time (or at least make them very brittle,) fade colours, and a few other things. Nothing of major consequence if you take it in to consideration.

Back