What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Girls are so strange now-a-days.

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
My daughter brought home her new friend, Kalin, after school today.

He's all of 18" tall
wink.gif

12914024-99fe-02000180-.jpg

Back when I was a pup, you of the gentler sex were expected to scream & faint.  Not go "Oh, he's so cute!! Can I hold him?"
Let alone take him home as a pet  
biggrin.gif
!

Any idea as to what kind of garter snake it is?

Oohhh! I can't wait to see what goodies my two rambunctious boys bring home for me when they start school!
wink.gif

Sorry, I have no idea what kind of snake he is, but he is cute!

*Shedding off the stereo-type of the typical female*
wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

How adorable! I've always wanted a snake but my parents wouldn't let me.. they said it would eat the cats..
tounge.gif

My 10 year old cousin Julie loves dinosaurs and reptiles too! I took her to the Twin Cities Reptiles shop in the city where she begged me to get her to a phone so she could call her mom and ask about getting a $350 american alligator "like from croc hunter" she kept saying.
I could just see my aunts face as I pull up and unload a 5 foot gator into the kids wading pool...! And present a bill for $350!
biggrin.gif

She got to see a 12 foot python eat a live rabbit as well as saw some chinese water dragons tear apart pinkie mice at Leaping Lizards and I thought that would probably cure her of wanting to get one but it only reinforced her drive to get a reptile pet! I always let her buy an age appropriate reptile book when I take her along on my trips there. That way I figure if she's serious enough she will hopefully read the books before the day when she can finally bring something home and she'll know at least the basics of how to give it proper care.

Hey BCK,

Your little friend is a Wandering Garter. This was my first snake ever (I was 4) they make great pets except for the musk factor. If he gets picky about food try guppies in a small bowl or slugs.

Pyro

'Little friend' Pyro? If that snakes 18" tall then it's got to be at least 20 foot long!
wow.gif

biggrin.gif

Vic

You got to love the smell of the musk...some people wear it as colone
wink.gif
(its true, its true) . Hehehe, you are so right Vic Brown. That must be a HUGE tank to support such a mamath gardner snake. Thanks for sharing the the picture BCK.

travis

Gads, I won't mention the musk.  My wife has already put her foot down on crickets and possibly meal worms being in the house for food.  I'll just pretend I don't know nuthin'
wink.gif
smile.gif
Yea, he/she? is 18" long, but since I said "she brought a friend over" and people are tall not long  (stay with this topic guys
wink.gif
 ) I used 'tall' just to be consistant with my story.
Man! a 20' garter snake would be something to see though!  MY mother-in-law has a real snake phobia.  When my daughter pulled this one out to show her, she lit out the door and wouldn't come back in 'till it was back in the container and the lid was on.  A 20' snake and she would still be haulin' _ _ _ down the road.  She's pretty spry for her age  
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Saaaaayyyyyyy,
Now you have a really good way to get the in laws to leave when they've worn out their welcome!!
wink.gif
wink.gif

lol.  Schloaty, the only problem is she lives right behind me, 26' between the back of her house and the back of mine, with no fence between the places.  There are times when it's a pain.

Pyro, thanks for the snake ID and feeding tips.  Now I can do a more specific web search for the care of it
smile.gif

BCK,

Glad I could assist. These guys are super easy. If you can find it, check out the book Exotic Pets by Arthur Rosenfield (not positive on that spelling.) It is a great book on care of reptiles and other exotics. As a quick starter from an experienced herper, give her a place to hide. Snakes hate being "on display" all the time as it makes them feel vulnerable and the often will get highly stressed.

Drop me a line if you want any extra help

Pyro

Thanks Pyro,
I think she's going to try to take good care of Kalin. She actually checked a book out of the school library on the "Care of Uncommon Pets" by William J. Weber, DVM today. I'll see if I can't find Exotic Pets by Arthur Rosenfield, too.

BCK -

As someone who runs a herpetological supply business (I can't resist a plug - Houston Herp Supply, or Houston Herp Supply), I would recommend "Garter Snakes" from T.F.H. Publishing. It's a decent beginner book that covers the care and maintenance of garter snakes specifically, and is LOADED with fantastic color pictures. You should be able to get it at your local pet store (if they have a decent reptile section AND a decent literature section - tough combination for most pet store owners...). If not, feel free to drop me a line and I'll be happy to get one to you, along with anything else you need for your new "cold and scaly" friend.

On a side note - I sure am glad to see people act in a less fearful manner when I show them my CPs...too many people are unreasonably frightened of reptiles, especially in these "enlightened" days...

Thanks for the tip Houstonherp. I'll look for that book this weekend.

Re: side note - Unfortunately there's still a lot of people out there though that are. I still have to chuckle when I think of my mother-in-law, who's 72, racing through the door to get away from a little 18'' garter snake. In her defense though, she grew up on a farm in Nebraska and was taught that all snakes were dangerous.

Back