What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant snake

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I know alot of people here are going to say this is another joke. After the last April fools joke I pulled I seem to have lost creditability here. I swear every word of what I am going to post here is true. Look at the date, it's not April 1st.

I have always had this memory, I have always known that this had to be a real event but I had no proof or anybody else to back it up.

First I will tell what I remembered.
I have no idea how old I was. I'm guessing about 5 or 6, I may have been younger. I remember being taking in my moms car to my step grandparents house. (Yes the ones that were married 71 years) The road in front of their house is a curve. I remember being taken to the curve. There was a snake on the curve. I remember this snake as being huge. I remember the snake reaching from one side of the curve over half way to the other. From one side of the curve to the other is about 25 ft. It was about a big around as 3/4 the size of a soccer ball. I remember it being alive and moving. There were people standing around this snake.
That is my memory. I have often thought about this memory and I have tried to make sense of it, and I have tried to explain it in my own mind. Since I thought there was no known snakes that would be that size native to the area, I had come up with two possibilities. One, this was a dream or a figment of my imagination, even though it seemed very real and I have no history of remembering things that never happened. Or two, It was an adult python or boa that had escaped from somewhere.
Now the second part of the story.
While I was at home this week, I was talking to my mom and the topic came to snakes. I thought of the memory that I have had so I asked her about it. She told me that there was a huge snake that was caught and killed in a swamp in Abbottsburg, NC (about 5 miles from where I remember this). The snake was brought to the same place that I had remembered it. It was stretched from one side of the road to the other. She was told it was a rattlesnake. She said it was over 15ft. long and about as big around as my leg. The only difference from what I remember and what she told me is that the snake I remember was alive.
I want to know what everybody else thinks about this story.

sounds like someone got sick of feeding their pet boa/python and dumped it. ive heard of it happening more than once. National Geographic channel had a show on a guy who spent a week searching for a "giant snake" somewheres down south(Florida, Georgia, Alabama ect.. dont remember where) they finally found it after someone litterally ran over it in a SUV on accident and killed it. i believe it turned out to be a 15 ft or so burmese python somebody dumped. not impossible but most of the time the snakes die before anyone discovers them though ive heard through the grape vine that due to ppl turning loose pets they no longer want somewhere in Florida has a wild breeding population of boa constrictors. not a large population but its there.

Rattler

I know when I was a boy, we would find bullsnakes at around 9 feet long. Once we killed a prairie rattlesnake in Montana outside Great falls. the snakes head was pancaked by a sledgehammer weilded by my father. The tape came out, and the snake was a little over seven feet. Ross Allen of the Reptile Institute in Florida once wrote me about a diamondback (eastern) that measured out at 13' 11" in his serpentarium. I can imagine that there just might have been a rattlesnake at 15'. Long ago, we caught BIG snakes. My persoanal favorite was an Indigo snake in Maryland at 9' 10". 1959 when I was 9 years old. Couldn't really say who caught who, we were so wrapped up with each other.

I can't look at them, but I can eat them. They taste a lot like Buffalo WIngs, which to me taste a lot like chicken. ANyone else ever notice that?

The biggest snake I ever saw was about 3 feet long. Plenty big enough for me. Freaked me out big time too.

Ozzy, if I go anywhere down south with you, you gotta promise to protect me from s-s-s-s-snakes!

Mom was the same way: couldn't even look at them, same as me. I wonder if it is genetic. I have met others even worse than me that can't even look at a rubber snake.

IN a zoo once I decided to take my phobia in hand. I was looking at some Asian Pit Vipers in a glass tank, and was doing ok. I looked at him, and he looked at me. Suddenly he lunged and hit the glass. Without the glass, I would have gotten it right between the eyes. Never been to a zoo since.

Snakes and Scorpions are my phobias, and I can't understand how anyone can LIKE them! Y'all are an odd bunch!

I've had the same thing as you ozzy, when I was 5 or 6 I remember a Giant turtle in out driveway, It was really big, 3 feet, at least thats what I can remember. We poked a stick at it's mouth, a thick stick, and it snapped the thing in half. I've thought that I was imagining things. I'm not really sure if it was ever there. I wish I could seen that snake ozzy, I love snakes, Scorpions too
smile_l_32.gif

People always seem to lable big snakes as whatever the local poisonious one is without even bothering to look it up. Pythons and boas get loose fairly often and even up here in MI one was found over 20ft living in the walls of an old house! LOL

I am not buying your story Ozzy.
You been sipping nectar off your Neps?
confused.gif

In national geographic news lately they belive that there is a breeding population of giant boas in the everglades. People have relesed so many that there now breeding in the wild!

Back