What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant Sarracenia psittacina forms

I have a variety of Sarracenia psittacina forms in my collection and have been spending some time recently trying to sort out the backgrounds of the "giant" forms. Specifically, what I'd like to clarify is:

1. What are the details regarding the plant commonly referred to as Sarracenia psittacina 'Giant'? Is it simply a larger form of psittacina or is it one of the other forms, given a new name?

2. The same with Sarracenia psittacina 'Golfballensis'. I've heard this is a variety that grows in Florida only, so I'm trying to confirm is this is true or not. How large does the plant get? Is it simply a psittacina with a larger 'parrot head' than normal?

3. Are any of the psittacina giant forms connected in any way to those originating from the Okeefenokeensis Swamp? I've seen plants listed as 'S. psittacina 'Okeefenokeensis' amd am curious is this is actually one of the other giant forms, as well.

Does anyone have information that would help clear things up?

Thanks! Oz

S. psittacina 'golfballensis' is just a large variety of psittacina with huge parrot heads, yes.
I do not believe however, that they originate from the Okefenokee swamp. I have seen S. minor 'Okefenokeensis' but not a psittacina with that label.
as far as the giant form of S. psittacina, that could just be golfballensis, im not sure. i dont know too much about psittacina but a good friend of mine grows a good number of them, i only grow a few but not either of the socalled giant forms.

Psittacina does grow in the Okeefenokee, and is significantly larger than the typical form. There are also examples of the cross with minor, and the hybrid is also quite large. Sometimes I see this psittacina labelled 'Okeefenokeensis' or 'Okee'...but not always.

i know psittacina grows in the okefenokee, ive seen em lol. im saying i dont think the giant form originates from there, and i dont think there is a special cultivar called okefenokeensis as far as psittacina goes.
the particular large plant your seeing with that label is S. minor 'okee giant' or 'okefenokeensis' same plant.

I think we're making the same point...sort of. I know of the minor "Okee"; I grow a few different color forms of it. One of the things I'm trying to clear up is if the large form of psittacina that grows there is legitimately labelled "Okee' or not. I tend to think not, yet it still turns up from time to time.

I have also seen plants listed as such, but I'm not sure that I've seen pictures of them. It's mentioned here, and also I believe on Barry's site. Seems dubious - I've looked at several photojournals of the Okefenokee swamp and I don't remember seeing any psittacina being mentioned as noteworthy forms. I do remember one interesting picture of them growing submerged, but that's about it.
~Joe

The 'Gulf Coast Giant' listed there appears to be one of the forms I'm investigating...not as large as the ones I've seen in the Okeefenokee Swamp, but much larger than the typical form.

You mean you've seen unusually large psittacina there? Interesting. Were there typical-sized ones in the area as well?
~Joe

The only typical psittacina I saw were outside the park. Inside, the ones I saw were quite large.

Back