What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant fly traps

Yes. But unfortunately the laws of physics will dictate how large the traps can get and still work. So while theorectically you could have a 1 foot sized traps...they won't close (at least not with enough speed to catch anything).

If it was a foot big it could catch small birds...  
smile_k_ani_32.gif
It wouldn't need to be that fast if a bird went right in and triggered the trap. Think of the nutrients it would get from that... actually it probably couldn't digest much of it.

Even if the traps didn't close at all, I bet you still wouldn't want to put your hand in there.

I'd like to gene-splice a sundew and a VFT together to make a sundew with VFT traps on the ends of its leaves. Hmm...

*wanders off to the Lab*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stevie D @ May 28 2004,12:23)]I'd like to gene-splice a sundew and a VFT together to make a sundew with VFT traps on the ends of its leaves. Hmm...

*wanders off to the Lab*
Actually, I just polinated a flytrap flower with Drosera spatulata pollen...and it looks like it's producing seed....

There was a master breeder back in the 70's working on creating some super sized VFT's using gamma radiation and gene splicing. He got a reportedly HUGE all green form that he was feeding rats to. He was keeping it all hush hush. He dropped out of contact about 1980 and no one has heard from him since.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jon @ May 29 2004,6:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stevie D @ May 28 2004,12:23)]I'd like to gene-splice a sundew and a VFT together to make a sundew with VFT traps on the ends of its leaves. Hmm...

*wanders off to the Lab*
Actually, I just polinated a flytrap flower with Drosera spatulata pollen...and it looks like it's producing seed....
It... It's ALIVE!!

(Actually, if it's not just a case of your VFT being pollenated (sp?) by air-bourne pollen from your other VFTs, I'd be rather interested to see how that turns out...)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]...He dropped out of contact about 1980 and no one has heard from him since.

Read as "he fell in".
smile_n_32.gif

It couldnt catch birds on its own. The traps clsoe by cell growth, so on a 1 foot trap, it would take more like 5 minutes to close

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stevie D @ May 28 2004,10:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jon @ May 29 2004,6:29)]
It... It's ALIVE!!

(Actually, if it's not just a case of your VFT being pollenated (sp?) by air-bourne pollen from your other VFTs, I'd be rather interested to see how that turns out...)
Yeah, it'd be interesting to see the result if it wasn't pollinated by another VFT, although surely not very likely.

aren't there already "giant form" traps? that make like 3/4 inch traps... I'd like to one day get one of those... If I ever stop buying nepenthes...

3/4 inch!!! I have traps pushing 2.5 inches easy. Like us, the older they get, the better they are.

you sure about that?
smile_m_32.gif

<span id='ME'><center>Spectabilis73 looks at his 98 year old wrinkled up half dead body that cant even walk self</center></span>
smile_k_ani_32.gif

confused.gif

smile_m_32.gif

Tamlin, 2.5 INCHES or 2.5 centimetres? That's sounds more like it, or maybe its a bigmouth VFT?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He dropped out of contact about 1980 and no one has heard from him since
yeah it does sound like the VFT made a meal out of him, so myterious (and then someone comes arcoss a pile of bones lying in the VFT's mouth...) *shudders* just like in the movies - like when someone comes to a mysterious cave, sees a few skeletons. Ooohhhh, so scary!
smile_n_32.gif

Actually ppl have tried making a sundew-VFT b4, don't know whether they succeeded in making a freak of nature, I would like to see its catching mechanism. Proly could if you try real hard, I heard that VFTs and sundews doseras are related, even if most websites deny that ("the Venus flytrap is a Diverse genus, totally separate from other genuses...) - quoted from collectors corner, I think...
Hey Jon, you don't mind keeping an update on how that turns out, do you? Otherwise we could be onto something here, after it germinates lets see how it turns out...oooooohhhh I'm so excited *shaking*
smile_n_32.gif

How bout a nep with a butterwort, :
nepenthes bicarlarata X pinguicula primuliflora I've just invented that! At least in my dreams - That's crazy!
biggrin.gif

Tamlin, depends, better at what? Fooling around I see is common round here...
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ May 29 2004,10:44)]How bout a nep with a butterwort, :
nepenthes bicarlarata X pinguicula primuliflora I've just invented that! At least in my dreams - That's crazy!
biggrin.gif

Tamlin, depends, better at what? Fooling around I see is common round here...
smile_m_32.gif
Wouldn't the prey stick to the sides of the pitcher before it sploshed into the juices in the bottom?
smile_m_32.gif

the pitchers wouldn't be sticky inside. The leaves the pitcher is attached to would be sticky... The whould plant would be a giant trap.... awesome....

Back