What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant bear!

I'm up in Lake Tahoe while my house is being remodelled. This morning, I was letting my dogs outside, and as soon as I opened the front door, I realized there was a GIANT BEAR rummaging through my garbage it removed from my supposedly "bear-proof" garbage container. It was about 15 feet away, and my two pacifist greyhounds didn't see it and wandered right out towards it. Once it realized there were people and dogs coming, the bear bolted away.

I planned on going back to sleep after letting the dogs out, but my heart is racing! Whoa! That thing was HUGE!!!

Capslock

pretty lucky your dogs are passive.
the bear might of felt the need to protect itself..
that means bye bye doggies.

good to know everything was ok.

Dude, you do you bear it?

laugh.gif

cool!
here's my animal story: I was walking to the bus stop and I saw this dead snake on the ground. I bumped it w/ my foot and GASP! it WASN'T dead! but the poor thing had it's back portion squished and somehow was glued in to the road. I tried to free it but then I realized it would probably hurt it more and it would die anyway so I had to do what needed to be done and I stomped it
smile_h_32.gif

stomped it?

you couldnt have gotten a rock or something and smashed it?
i feel that stomping would hurt too
smile_k_ani_32.gif

hey... it was cold and dark and I didn't have much time (I leave at EXACTLY the right time to catch the bus :p) and besides, there aren't many rocks among the grass (here... at least not rocks big enough)

it felt horrible too. ... but you have to do what you have to do.
I also killed a skink once... it was hurt and I did squish it with a rock that time (b/c there was one right next to me)
that also felt horrible.

but what was funny was when I was little and I killed a regular old housefly that was 1.5 m away from me... with a rubberband!!!
and I once threw a tiny pebble at a yellowjacket (I wasn't even trying) and I hit it the very first time right on the back
biggrin.gif
(no animals were hurt in the making of the last memory)

PS. the snake was small and I stomped it hard so I doubt that it hurt for long...

pooooooooooooooor snake
smile_k_ani_32.gif

thanks for being kind
smile_m_32.gif

Update: It's outside right now!!! That thing has figured out how to twist the handle on my "bear-proof" garbage container. It's hard for ME to do. This time my brother was taking his dogs out for the last time of the night, and there it was. It went accross the street and hunkered down. You can see it's eyes with a flashlight (it's really dark out). It's HUGE. It's eyes are like 12 inches apart. So, it was across the street, and my garbage container was open with one can already removed neatly. So I held the flashlight on the bear and went out and put the can back in and closed the door. I was shaking the whole time, and when I went to get the can, it got up and started to retreat. I ran back inside! I have no doubt it will be open and the garbage all over tomorrow morning, but I'M NOT GOING OUT THERE AGAIN!!!

Capslock

Yet another update. It's already got the garbage back open and is sitting on a mound of snow out there munching away. It's as big as a house!!!

I'm not goint to disturb it any more, and just clean up tomorrow. Yikes!!!!

Capslock

Caps, in all seriousness, you should probably call animal control. They have people specialized in removing and (hopefully) relocating problem animals.

Capslock--Get your CAMERA!!! We'd love to see a photo of it. Sounds like its hanging around so you might get another chance to snap it (from a safe distance of course).

I'm sure its scary having it so close but it sounds like awsome beast. Its a shame they start hanging around neighborhoods and sometimes getting killed. Humans are the interlopers...not them.

I hope you and your dogs stay safe but...get a pic if you can!
smile.gif

we want pics! we want pics!
I hope if you call animal control that they don't kill it
smile_h_32.gif

I've got my camera at the ready. It was dark out and starting to snow when it came, so I'd have had to go right up to it and use a flash. Which I'm not going to do. But if it comes in the daylight, I'll get it. This bear tore the metal door off my garbage container. My bear-proof container. Then spread garbage everywhere. Then, overnight, it snowed about 14 inches. Then, before I got up, the snowplow came by and burried the trash even further.
laugh.gif
Much shovelling later, I got most of it back in the can.

I suppose it will be back, but it was garbage day today, so there's nothing left!

By the way schloaty, if this were an isolated animal, I'd call someone, but there are bears everywhere up here. Unfortunately, they know about people's trash, and some up here don't even hibernate anymore because of the steady food source.

Capslock

they need to make better bear-proof trashcans then!
I'd tell you to scare it but it would probably attack someone b/c it was scared :p

Sounds awesome, i'd probably be outside trying to pet it.. lol, i wanna see a picture of it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 25 2004,6:57)]hey... it was cold and dark and I didn't have much time (I leave at EXACTLY the right time to catch the bus :p) and besides, there aren't many rocks among the grass (here... at least not rocks big enough)

it felt horrible too. ... but you have to do what you have to do.
I also killed a skink once... it was hurt and I did squish it with a rock that time (b/c there was one right next to me)
that also felt horrible.

but what was funny was when I was little and I killed a regular old housefly that was 1.5 m away from me... with a rubberband!!!
and I once threw a tiny pebble at a yellowjacket (I wasn't even trying) and I hit it the very first time right on the back
biggrin.gif
(no animals were hurt in the making of the last memory)
I do that all the time...like it better than a swatter

Is it a Grizzly or a lil' black bear?? Not sure what you guys have down there..
confused.gif

Back