What's new

Giant bear!

LOL! No! I'm waiting for him to come back in the daytime. Believe me, I have the camera ready.

By the way, he obviously came back last night to find some trash he buried in the snow outside. He'll probably come back tonight. I'm ready.

Bonnie, it's a black bear, but not by any means little. They get up to 500 lbs, and this one was probably near that. What's worse, they can climb trees and sprint at 35mph.

Capslock

You sound freaked out man, i'd be enjoyin it lol. It's not like he can hurt you its just a smalll 500 pound bear...
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Oct. 27 2004,8:58)]You sound freaked out man, i'd be enjoyin it lol. It's not like he can hurt you its just a smalll 500 pound bear...
confused.gif
What a twisted sense of humour....
smile_n_32.gif

G

Sorry.. just up here it's different I guess.. I mean moose alone are over 1,000 lbs.. black bears are considered rather small ;)
Still dangerous though for sure.. at least Grizzly's don't usually eat the people they attack
smile_n_32.gif

just don't get between it's baby or you'll be in BIG trouble!
and like most "bad" animals, it has a bad reputation.
funny how people do that... some animals have a good rep (they're rare... I can only think of one... dolphin) but most have bad reps.... and most of them aren't justified.

G

Black bears actually do eat many of the people they attack. At least up here... Grizzly's usually charge only to protect food, babies, or territory and playing dead works most of the time with them. Polar Bears actually hunt people for food.. now those guys are spooky ...

G

Hmm.. speaking of, have any of you read any of the Alaska Bear Tales books? They're kinda cool.. and all collections of real stories. http://www.kaniut.com/ theres also other real life adventure stories, etc.
Probably not reccomended reading for Capslock right now though ;)

G

and that doesn't even take into consideration how many bears are killed in self defense every year..
Don't get me wrong.. I'm a hunter.. but I only hunt moose and only for the meat. I think trophy hunting for sport is stupid
smile_n_32.gif

yeah, it's better to eat a wild animal that has been free all its life and has roamed around doing what they're supposed to do than to eat animals that have never felt grass beneath their feet and are fed ground up members of their own species.
besides... it's healtheir :p
I think trophy hunting is stupid too