What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant african land snails

Hi,

I am thinking of getting some Giant african land snails. I was wondering if any one else here had some and if so what kinds.

Andre

sounds interesting... how big do these snails get?

Well depends on which kind you can get your hands on. They seem rather hard to find but the Achatina achatina is the largest of all land snails.Apparantly they normaly reach at least 20 cm however one site said the largest specimen was 450g in weight and had a shell length of 37cm!

I have giant shellless snails. They are all over my back yard. I'd be very happy to ship out all of these that you want.

LOL@ Ozzy!

When I go up to the redwoods in Ca, we soemtiems find these huge banana slugs. Lots of them have speckles so they look like overripe bananas. They are about the size of one of those "Jr" bananas that they offer for sale.

BTW, if you live in Ca, these guys are illegal.

No, the african land snails are illegal....obvious reasons.

Banana slugs are native to CA. If I had it my way, maybe CA would have a state gastropod or somethin...lol!

NOOOOOOOOOO!
sad.gif
wow.gif
mad.gif

are there any that are legal?

On the bright side it is still legal to breath in California. Well, unless the current bill passes. Apparently breathing causes cancer so California is trying to outlaw it.

It's about time that somebody stood-up against breathing. They'll probably just end up taxing it though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Mar. 15 2004,14:00)]It's about time that somebody stood-up against breathing. They'll probably just end up taxing it though.
whats next, you pay 25 dollars a month just to breathe!?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

mad.gif

There are a great many other large land snails that come from other areas from the world. Most tropical ocenic islands have their own variety of large native land snails. Unfortunatly, due to human causes, amlmost all are ether endangerd or extinct.

Giant land snails are actually illegal throughout the USA AS they are listed as a plant pest. You would need special permits to own one.

Ed

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's about time that somebody stood-up against breathing. They'll probably just end up taxing it though.

LOL, i'm gonna put that in my sig

can anyone post a pic of a Giant land snail?
They seem cool
biggrin.gif

Back