What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting a leopard gecko

I will be getting my first leopard gecko soon and i have research how to build a good home for it, but i was wondering what some good plants would be to put in their with it to make things look more interesting? I would prefer plant names not general families of plants.

Thanks
Ktulu

Well, leopard geckos are strictly dessert lizards so... maybe some cactuses without spines would work. Tropical type plants would make the cage feel un-natural to the gecko. If you do use plants at all, cactuses with no spines whatsoever would be the best choice. Leopard geckos' skin is very thin and delicate, so make sure to NEVER use spiny ones.

I built a desert terrarium a few months ago for a plated lizard. So far, the best plants seem to be hawortia and aloe, at least out of the ones I've tried, though aloe may be a little spiny around the edges. I have a mixture of 2/3 sand and 1/3 regualr potting soil (peat/perlite) in mine.
Lithops would look great, except they would be extremely hard to keep from rotting in a terrarium. Any kind of sedum would likelly be good (I grow sedum morganianum, donkey's tail, which is a very easy plant that would likely do well) Christmas cactus is also a possibility, and possibly also kalanchoe.
Good luck.

Back