What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get a plant that's flowering, or by seeds?

Sig

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes
At my local lowes there are always half-dead carnivorous plants for 1-2 USD. I want a "forest of sundews" in an aquarium that I've filled with peat moss/perlite. Since capensis are like weeds I'm told that's a good place to start. I'm wondering whether I should buy a few hundred seeds for filling every inch of the tank (and letting the strong survive) or buy one of the flowering sundews for a buck or so and harvesting the seeds. Which would be cheapest and get me the most/healthiest plants?

Also, are there any sundews that can live year-round in southeast michigan?

Thanks!

I've never seen capensis in death cubes. Are you seeing adelaes?

I have no idea. They always just say "sundew", so I assumed it was a capensis.

Also, are there any sundews that can live year-round in southeast michigan?

Thanks!

You mean outside? Well, there is D.rotundafolia, D.intermedia, D.anglica, D.filiformis ssp.filiformis, and D.linearis.

Yeah, sorry, I look at a post and it seems P-E-R-F-E-C-T in my head (never the case!)

Which of those plants would you suggest most to a beginner (and easiest to get?) I don't trust those sites that are trying to sell me stuff and say "this plant is easy to grow!" so I figure it'd be better to ask you guys.

Thanks! (And what about the seed thing?)

Yeah, sorry, I look at a post and it seems P-E-R-F-E-C-T in my head (never the case!)

Which of those plants would you suggest most to a beginner (and easiest to get?) I don't trust those sites that are trying to sell me stuff and say "this plant is easy to grow!" so I figure it'd be better to ask you guys.

Thanks! (And what about the seed thing?)

Well, from what I've seen the easiest outdoor sundew to find and grow is probably D.filiformis ssp filiformis. D.rotundafoliia woud probably be pretty easy too, but is a bit harder to find,

As far as seeds go, I'm sure if you ask around the forum you can find someone who will send you some capensis seeds for nothing but the price of the stamp to send it. Put a request up in the trade section, they will come out of the woodwork. ;)

silenceisgod, I'll PM you to a site you can, if you want.

Sure! That'd be appreciated.

Back