What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germination in "Giant" mimosa

I just noticed that the giant mimosa seed (Mimosa pigra, I think) that I got from Fatboy has started to germinate today.

Is that the tree? I'm getting some of those seeds myself. I'm new to seeds and these plants, how do I germinate? Just in water for a few days before planting?
confused.gif

Are you very familiar with the plants? Do you know what type of environment the plants and trees need to flourish?

Sorry for 20 questions! I just want to make sure I have this all figured out. I'm toying with planting some of the seeds myself (most of the are for a friend of mine), and I'm wondering if the tree can survive outside in Alberta and if it could weather the COLD winters?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
wink.gif

I just put the seeds in some damp potting soil, no special treatment. They germinated within a week. Not surprising, as it is a noxious weed in Australia, Florida and other parts of the world.

I doubt that they would survive the alberta winter, but the seeds might. I would strongly discourage *anyone* from planting this species outdoors as it has become a problem weed in many areas.

It doesn't look like it grows into a tree, more like a large bush. I suppose you could prune it so that it would grow into a tree-like shape. Looks like it has some evil thorns too.

I guess I'll keep it in the house then, and I think my friend was planning the same anyway, thanks!
biggrin.gif

Cheers Dodec, you're welcome.

The big one isn't too bad as far as the thorns go, it's that medium one that's SERIOUSLY spiky.

Regards Troy.

Back