What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Georgia Aquarium loses another whale shark

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/14/us/14shark.html

They've only had these sharks for two years, and they've lost two of them in the past five months. The article says that in the only other place the species is on display, in Asia, a study found that the average captive lifespan among 16 captive whale sharks was 502 DAYS. I dunno, they seem to be pretty expensive (and rare) goldfish at that rate.

I dunno, normally I support *good* zoos and aquariums whose emphasis is on research and conservation, and who take exemplary care of their animals... but if the Georgia aquarium is having this much trouble with whale sharks I feel it's becoming irresponsible to keep them (they just shipped over 2 more from taiwan). Any thoughts?

Don't know if it is making national news but the first one that dropped seemed to be suffering ill effects of a totally unexpected bad drug reaction (an antibiotic). And this second one had also recieved the same drug before the first one went down and they quite using the drug, so it is possible/probable that it died for the same reason. I think that the new batch should be watched before a judgement call is made as to whether or not it is worth trying to keep them. If the second batch goes down then I agree that it is best to bow out with dignity but if it really was just a bad drug reaction and the second batch does well then it sort of changes the ball park.

My thoughts anyways

im also surprised PETA hasnt said anything.

They also killed a beluga whale. I think they are a joke. They didn't even try to make it eat. It stopped eating and starting swimming weird so they just euthenized it like it was expendable instead of trying to save it.

I've never been there but I've heard the aquarium is a joke and most well-cared for home aquariums are prettier. I head the Tennessee and Ripley's is better.

Pretty much every aquarium, zoo etc. says it's all about education and conservation, but they're just another entertainment option, like a movie or a baseball game. They only make token efforts at conservation and education because that's what the customers want to hear.

Pretty much every aquarium, zoo etc. says it's all about education and conservation, but they're just another entertainment option, like a movie or a baseball game. They only make token efforts at conservation and education because that's what the customers want to hear.

I don't know about most zoos, but the New York metro area zoos and aquariums (Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, Brooklyn Aquarium) are run by the Wildlife Conservation Society, which does some awesome conservation work all over the world. Atlantis Marine World, on Long Island, is a for-profit organization, but they also give housing and financial support to The Riverhead Foundation, a marine mammal research and rescue group which operates on the premises. Mystic Aquarium in Connecticut and the New England Aquarium in Massachusetts have similar marine mammal rescue programs. I worked for a while at the Riverhead Foundation, assisting with animal care and releases... they're certainly not a token organization, in fact they were there before the aquarium opened ;)

Yeah zoos and aquariums are attractions for entertainment, but the good ones do take conservation and education seriously. My first trip to the Bronx Zoo as a kid was amazing... I never forgot seeing my first cheetah and searching for the black panther in the jungle exhibit. Making things real to kids gets them to care later on in life, I think... the pictures they always see in books and online aren't just some faraway thing but real, breathing animals. Zoos and aquariums have their place, as long as they're properly run of course.

What is the reason why great whites can't be kept?

What is the reason why great whites can't be kep?

Though I fell behind on some of the information, the Monterey Bay Aquarium managed to keep a Great White for record time just recently. I actually got to see it, it was great. Instead of releasing it because it wasn't eating or was suffering (which is usually the case) they had to release it because it was getting a bit too feisty and chewin' up some of the other sharks in the big million-gallon-tank. Mightbe able to find some info on google in connection with that aquarium (it's a GREAT aquarium.)

Can't speak for most, but the Monterey Bay Aquarium is an awesome aquarium that really seems to stick to conservation ideals in their work and presentation in the buildings. Not to mention that the ocean sanctuary around the site is beautiful. Notably they've done a lot of work with sea otters and helping to restore healthy sea otter populations here in Cali.

They also killed a beluga whale. I think they are a joke. They didn't even try to make it eat. It stopped eating and starting swimming weird so they just euthenized it like it was expendable instead of trying to save it.

I've never been there but I've heard the aquarium is a joke and most well-cared for home aquariums are prettier. I head the Tennessee and Ripley's is better.

That isn't true Clint. The beluga had had an ongoing respiratory tract infection since the got it, something they missed when the examined it at the amusment park in Mexico City where it was living in a brakish pool under a rollercoaster. They had the beluga in what was basically an ICU for something like 6 months before it passed. In the end, yes, they did have to euthanize it but that was because it was suffering and had a systemic infection that could not be treated. So they gave it a quite end rather than forcing it to suffer more. If your dog had terminal cancer but was going to live a year in terrible pain every day would you have it live that year or would you put it down?

Before you people make jugement calls based on what the media is saying you might want to look at the official Aquarium statments. Remember, the number one headline right now is about a stupid rich ***** slut and how horrible things are for her in jail. Do you really think the people who call that "news" are going to give a fair and unbiased report or disclose all the facts that the aquarium has released??

LMAO! Thanks for making me wake up laughing about Paris lmao. You have a good point.

As for great whites (again) shouldn't they have just kept a pup as the are smaller? Also wouldn't it be ovous if it was in enclose space with smaller animals it sees as food wouldn't you wan't to keep them seperate? I really think that if they are experimenting with keeping whale sharks and greatwhites they should be tested in tanks right near the coast to release them if it the problem wasn't dug or viruse caused.

Dangit Pyro, you got my hopes up for a second there: I thought you said they euthenized Paris. :-))

Can't speak for most, but the Monterey Bay Aquarium is an awesome aquarium that really seems to stick to conservation ideals in their work and presentation in the buildings. Not to mention that the ocean sanctuary around the site is beautiful. Notably they've done a lot of work with sea otters and helping to restore healthy sea otter populations here in Cali.
I was there a couple weeks ago and loved the jelly fish area. Spent 5 hours there and would have spent more if I'd had more time.

Dangit Pyro, you got my hopes up for a second there: I thought you said they euthenized Paris. :-))
It couldn't happen to a nicer person. Glad the judge tossed her skinny, whiny, butt back in jail.

I worked for a while at the Riverhead Foundation, assisting with animal care and releases... they're certainly not a token organization, in fact they were there before the aquarium opened ;)

Yeah, the aquarium seems to be an afterthought to the conservation program there.
Seen all the CP's they have there? Nuthin spectacular, but cool all the same.

the Monterey Bay Aquarium managed to keep a Great White for record time just recently. I actually got to see it, it was great.QUOTE]

You got to see it? And they released it already? Dang! I remeber hearing that they were going to keep one in a penned in area of the Bay.
I always miss out on seeing one of these majestic beasts... like when there was one stuck in a Lagoon in New England a couple years ago. Missed that opportunity too.
Oh well, as long as I don't see one when I'm in the Ocean!

Back