What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

George Carlin Died

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date
I once saw Carlin perform at the late-great Circle Star Theater in Redwood City, CA when I was a teenage in the 1980s. He had always been a favorite of mine. Here's one of his later gems which puts everything into perspective:

“The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles … hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worlwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages … And we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet … the planet … the planet isn’t going anywhere. WE ARE!”

-George Carlin

I liked Carlin a lot, my parents had his LPs now they're in my record collection.

I definately like his older material 1972-1986 or so - it was very clever linguistically. His modern stuff is mainly an angry old hippy complaining about everything under the sun - I can call my dad if I wanna hear that! :-O

Depending on how you look at it, he didn't die. He passed away.

:cry: :cry: This is very very sad.. He surely was the greatest, even from way back in my days we loved him tons... He will be greatly missed...

I liked how he wasn't a comedian. He simply told the truth and it was somehow funny. It wasn't the usual empty crap that the "comedians" out there today are doing.

Remember his piece on the 7 words that weren't allowed on TV? I think most of them now are.

I'm sure he's smiling down on us all from Joe Pesci's roof.

I won't claim I was a huge fan of Carlin in the sense that I never sought him out; but I did always enjoy all of his acts, movie roles, etc. And who can deny Rufus from Bill and Ted's excellent adventure?

It seemed so fitting when either Bill or Ted said: "Listen to this dude Rufus, he knows what he's talking about." He certainly did.

And when Rufus said: "Gentlemen... we're history." Indeed, Rufus, indeed.

xvart.

Wasn't he also in Thomas the Tank, or something to that effect?

Thomas the TRAIN you warmonger! :-D

J/K!

Thomas the Tank Engine darnit. He was the narrator.

Back