What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suddenly every one of my Genlisea species are putting up scapes (except the smallest starts). I wonder why, and if it is photoperiod related. Anyone know when these plants flower in habitat? It is spring in Brasil, and I guess this is when they would flower, but the days are getting longer there, not shorter. No complaints though.

I will soon see G. lobata flowers at long last. I remember when it was just 3 little leaves.

ALso I sowed fresh seed of G. pygmaea yesterday, so lets keep the fingers crossed! I feel hopeful since I got germination of the G. violacea seed Fernando and Robert Gibson collected last August.

Pyro and Dodec, thanks again for sending the plants! I am working now at propagating them, and should have some to send to other growers by spring.

Mine are all flowering too, and would also like to know the answer to tamlin's question. I thought that genlisea actually slowed growth a tiny bit in winter time
confused.gif

Cole

Yrp ,mine are flowering too, well was flowering, i had to cut of the stems cuz i accidently dropped the pot and the stems broke! (dang im dumb lol). Has anyone ever gotten seed from the flowers. I pollinated on flower before the incident and the result was after a couple of weeks, the flower dropped and a hard bulb came up. I removed the bulb and it still hasnt opened. Any suggestions? thanks

Could there be a condition that comes with winter that tells the plant "Quick, try to reproduce, you might die soon, the weather is starting to get nasty..."? Like, lower temps or sumthing?

QUOTE:"Quick, try to reproduce, you might die soon"

they had better not die.
wink.gif

Cole

Well. In Genlisealand (Brasil did Tamlin call it...?)... Slightly colder weather may be so unusual, so the plant prepares for the possible... It gets a flower up, to keep the species alive... I think. Or sumthing like that? Maybe? Hehe...

Parasuco,

You are on the right track. Most/many Genlisea are environmental annuals, during the wet season they grow fast and wild and then with the onset of the dry season they flower like mad and dump seed everywhere. If the parent plant dies because conditions got too dry at least it got seed out. Of course the seasons are reversed there and their winter is the wet season so I am not sure why they would be doing a mass flowering now...
confused.gif

Back