What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea violacea "caraca"

Genlisea violacea "caraca" has arrived today!!!
smile.gif

It is REALLY small, well, because the guy gave me a cutting for free! But, Im still surprised, its tiny! I put it in a big-ish pot
so it can spread its roots and leves. The plant is less than one centimetre across. If anybody has any tips, I will appreciate it very much!
Dino
smile_m_32.gif

put it in a wide, shallow (very shallow) pot/container so the stolons will hit the bottom then be forced to the surface and thus make new plants.

Its in a wide container, but, its not that shallow. Its 10cm across. Its 6.5cm deep but Its in one of them plant pots with that rim, its been potted below the rim, so knock of 1cm. Thats 5.5 cm deep.

So,they spread like utrics?I did'nt know that.In that case I'll have some for trade or give away soon.

Jerry

Hey guys,

Just wanted to remind you guys that Genlisea in general don't form stolons (G.repens being the only exception I think). However G.violacea and similar species/ forms often form new plants from their traps. In fact i have even seen this in the wild with the form from Caraça (Minas Gerais state, SE Brazil -- please don't get this name mixed up with Caracas, capital of Venezuela!!
smile.gif
:) ).

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. It is relatively easy to multiply G.violacea by leaf cuttings too.

Oh no, bad news.
smile_h_32.gif
 1 leaf has turned completely brown,2 others have turned yellow.
smile_h_32.gif
 6 are still green and healthy though.
smile.gif
 Any idea when it will root and start growing?
Thank you foor your help,
Dino
smile_m_32.gif

oh i thought the roots WERE the stolons, like utrics!

well either way, that's what i meant, they form new plants via their roots.

Good news! Its growing!
smile.gif
I can see a new leaf growing from the centre!
smile.gif

More good news! Its rooted!!!!
smile.gif
After uncovering a small lump of peat, I could see white roots comeing from the plant and going into the soil!! Its also sending up 2 new leaves!!
smile.gif

Dino
smile_m_32.gif

Back