What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genilsea v.

My Genlisea v. is producing a flower stalk already. What should i do to get seed? Thanks

I'm still waiting on mine to flower so I can't help much but I can tell you that despite repeated reports that Genlisea are self fertile I have yet to get seeds. I recommend you try to pollenate them yourself using a really fine brush.

Pyro

Plants are usually propagated by leaf and trap cuttings. I have never gotten seed either.

Tamlin,

Don't forget that you can use the scape for cuttings too
smile.gif
tounge.gif

Pyro

With G. hispidula, at least, I have heard someone complaining that it was becoming a pest on the scale of D. capensis or U. subulata in his collection.

My hispidula is forming some nice plantlets and the scape is still in flower. Not quite a U. subulata and an all around better plant anyways

I can also assert that lobata can be propogated this way as there are some traps starting to form on one of the scapes on my plant. I also think Tamlin has had success getting cuttings from his violacea this way.

Pyro

Yes, I have actually had the best results cutting the scapes into segments each with a bud scale. I insert this vertically into the medium with the scale even or just below the surface. It isn't 100% reliable, but I have gotten some rosettes to form this way, as well as plantletts forming on the scape while it is still in growth.

Seeing as how this thread has turned to genlisea propogation...

I am having some good luck with G. pallida from leaf cuttings (it is also flowering, so I will try and get seed). But I find that G. leaf cuttings are just too darn slow.

Some genlisea species, like repens and pygmaea seem to grow a bit like utrics, just growing random leaves, rather than well defined rosettes. These are easy to divide.

And if you have G. violacea 'giant', then you can't *stop* it from reproducing. And it really is a giant - mine has a flower stalk 12 inches long already and it hasn't even opened a flower yet!

Dodec,

I also find that leaf cuttings tend to be slow but I have found that a light misting with 1/8 concentration fertilizer can give a boost in growth. I have also noticed a peculiar habit of many of my cuttings to only produce 1-2 leaves and then appear to stop growth but in actuallity they seem to have devoted all their energy into making new traps. This was most obvious to my when I recently went to transfer a cutting into its own pot, it only had 1 leaf but when I uprooted it there were three 2" long traps

Pyro

Back